atw: I just googlewhacked with antineologist

  • From: petsky@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:48:21 +1100

Hi All,

Unlike Alan I find a woman saying she was "googling her handbag" funny and
creative and I think
google is the kind of word that has no hope of not being appropriated by people
for their own
use (whereas Vivisimo probably will only ever be used to refer to the search
engine).

I find a fairly antineologist (against making up new words) attitude on this
list but my feeling is it
depends on why a word was created, how it's used, how it sounds and so on - of
course, it's all
subjective and what is a great word for one person is a horrible word for
another. I guess you
can always neologise and see if it takes off.

I googled to see if "antineologist" had ever been used before or whether I was
neologising by
using it (see definition of "neologism" below) and googlewhacked (got only one
result) though
strangely the blurb in the result did not match the text on the linked page -
perhaps because it's
a restricted site. Vivisimo and msnsearch did not
return any result.

ANTINEOLOGIST - GOOGLE RESULT
Daniel Rosenberg - Louis-Sebastien Mercier's New Words ...
<http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/eighteenth-century_studies/v036/36.3rosenberg.html>
.. Jean-François Marmontel, still had to defend the study of neology against the
pronouncements of the Academy's antineologist members: "These are the ...

TEXT ON LINKED PAGE
Abstract
Louis-Sébastien Mercier opposed the language politics of both Right and Left
during the French
Revolution. His 1801 La Néologie, ou vocabulaire de mots nouveaux, à
renouveler, ou pris dans
des acceptions nouvelles is a kind of antidictionary, promoting linguistic
innovation rather than
standardization or reform. In this work, as in others, Mercier vindicates the
creativity of speakers
and writers against the "caprice" of institutions. "The life of a language," he
writes, "is that of
the people to whom it belongs."

NEOLOGISM
guweb2.gonzaga.edu/faculty/wheeler/lit_terms_N.html
A made-up word that is not a part of normal, everyday vocabulary. Often
Shakespeare invented
new words in his place for artistic reasons. For instance, "I hold her as a
thing enskied." The
word enskied implies that the girl should be placed in the heavens. Other
Shakespearean
examples include climature (a mix between climate and temperature) and abyssm
(a mix between
abyss and chasm), and compounded verbs like outface or unking. Contrast with
kenning, above.
Occasionally, the neologism is so useful it becomes a part of common usage,
such as the word
new-fangled that Chaucer invented in the 1300s. A neologism may be considered
either a
rhetorical scheme or a rhetorical trope, depending upon whose scholarly
definition the reader
trusts. See compounding.

Regards,
Petra Liverani