atw: Do you "sort a column" or "sort the data in a column" ?

  • From: Eric Lee <ericylee80@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:39:58 +0800

Hi List,

I had another bout of the "confusion attack" this morning.

While highlighting the latest enhancements to our product in the
release notes, I was struck when it came to describing a new feature that
allows users to click the column title so that the information displayed in
that column can be (re)organized alphabetically, or numerically.
Do we say "you can now sort data by clicking the column title" or merely
"you now sort columns by clicking the column title" ?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric