atw: Appendixes vs annexes [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:24:05 +1000

I've been used to using the term 'Appendix' for material that's
supplementary to a document. But I found in Defence that often people used
'Annex' - and now I find that others use 'Attachment'. I'm not clear
whether these are different names for the same thing or reflect real
differences in structure or function. A search on the Internet has only
added to the confusion, though I get the impression that 'Annex' may be
commoner in America.
Can anyone clarify this for me?

Howard