atw: Annoying buggy behavious in Word track changes

  • From: Garry <suss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austechwriter <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 11:22:34 +1000

Hi All:
(Cross-posted to WORD-PC)
I have to use Track Changes in Word (Office 365). I prefer to avoid it if possible, but at the moment it's not my call. The following odd behaviour sometimes occurs.

Track Changes on, Show: No Markup. Behaviour also happens with Show: All Markup

Here is an example from an 8 page doc.

==========
Here is a paragraph in a table cell I want to keep, par A.
<Empty par in the cell, just a par mark I want to delete>
Here is the following par in the cell, a par I want to keep, par B.

1. I want to delete the empty par. I do so either by selecting the empty par mark and pressing Delete, or moving to the beginning of par B and pressing Backspace. The behaviour happens in either case.
2. Word frantically scrolls to the end of the doc, for goodness knows what reason.
3. I scroll back up to where I was working.
4. The empty par is gone (good), but so is the following par B (bad).

This only happens in some cases. Haven't been able to work out what sets those cases apart from other pieces of text. The workaround is easy: Turn Track Changes off to delete the par, then back on again.

Although the workaround is easy, I'd like to know what is happening. There's also my self-inflicted problem that with the workaround I sometimes forget to turn Track Changes back on. So I'd prefer not to use it.

Any ideas,
Garry

To contact the list administrator, send a message to