[austechwriter] Word argh

  • From: "Michael Edward Granat" <megranat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Elizabeth.Fullerton@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:51:10 +1000

Hi Elizabeth,

You might have what I call a Macro-proof Word document, which was created with
illegal (for MS-DOS/Windows) characters in the file name.

I've seen it happen when a writer I was working with saved a Word doc, which
automatically captured the first line of text in the document (containing
colons, slashes and the like) as its file name.

The Visual Basic simply would not converse with the file.

On the plus side, it's a great way to make your Word files macro virus proof.

It is wortha try to rename the file, but just renaming the document might not
work, as VB will now recognize the file as something rather nasty.

If that is the case, you will need to copy and paste the content of the
offending file into a new file, based on your associated template (in fact,
make sure that the template doesn't have a dodgy file name as well).

Just make sure that when you save the file you keep its name brief, concise and
system-legal.

So much for the (in)famous Windows long file name support!

Cheers,

Michael

Michael E. Granat - Consultant - Write Ideas*

Technical Communication.
Advertising Copywriting.
Business Writing.

E-mail:
Home Office:  megranat@xxxxxxxx
On-site:  megranat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Telephone:  0419 502 378
(+614 1950 2378 from outside Australia)

*Trading As business #0828673K
Registered (1987) Corporate Affairs Victoria, Australia.

This E-mail courtesy of OperaMail - "http://www.operamail.com"; by way of
Outblaze.

http://www.operamail.com
Get OperaMail Premium today - USD 29.99/year