[austechwriter] Re: Sec Unclassified: Screen-shots fuzzy in PDF - Problem Identified

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:15:15 +1000

Aha, Diana (Muzrimas)!

Now I see the primary source of your problem.

Capturing images and pasting them straight into any version of Word higher
than version 6 appears to be the source of your problem.

Recent versions of Word all do strange, proprietary things to create its
idea of a Windows Metafile graphic and, when you resize / reduce an image
to fit in a document, proportional amounts of image information are lost,
sometimes not to be regained.  (The results can look horrid, if you copy
and paste direct from any recent Word version to any other application.)

You and your team are far better off to bulk capture and paste on the fly
into the almost universally available Microsoft Wordpad tool (which you can
use as a lossless copy and paste resource) than to Word or, even better,
use a proper screen capture tool that can sequentially number and name new
bitmaps on the fly and save them to a preferred location.

Resizing the graphics in a Wordpad document makes them fit what you want
without image data loss.

Another viable alternative that I use often is to use the Print+Screen
(whole desktop) / Alt+Print Screen (selected window) capture instruction
and paste to the equally ubiquitous Microsoft Paintbrush, saving each new
image from there.

Before doing so, set the default Paintbrush blank image size 6x6 pixels
(Image > Attributes = 6x6 > OK.  File > New > Save = No) then whatever you
paste into Paintbrush will stretch to fit, with no wasted blank areas and
no file size bloat.

The above applies to any recent version of the Microsoft Windows operating
environment GUI.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Michael Granat