[austechwriter] Re: Sec Unclassified: Screen-shots fuzzy in PDF

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:03:15 +1000

Could be a number of things, Diana (Muzrimas).

First and foremost, everything depends on the image quality of the source
bitmap.  Always check the source before blaming the output system.  (If the
capture was a tad fuzzy to begin with, it can only become more so with the
subsequent processing involved in the print output process.)

Secondly, the printing attributes that you have set in your source document
creation application will have an effect on the quality of the end result.

Thirdly, consider that you should be checking the Acrobat generated result
on the same computer that you used to create the source document, to rule
out anomalies such as monitor adjustment, screen cleanliness, reflected
ambient light / screen glare, video card / driver and the like that can
occur when checking your output at another workstation.

Where all the above are not factors in the reduction in output clarity, it
is time to (as I have noted many, many times to this list before) go back
to the Adobe Acrobat Distiller / PDFMaker print driver settings and turn
off the loss-prone JPEG compression and switch to lossless LZH/ZIP
compression, deselecting all image downsampling options, then try again.

That should fix your problem, which is almost certainly one of loss-prone
JPEG compression reducing the image information to make the resulting PDF
more compact.

Regards,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas