[austechwriter] Re: Resumes are a show case for a Tech Writer

  • From: Nigel Dawes <NDawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:50:04 +1000

Peeete ....buddy relax.
'You ok?
You wrote:
>Why should EITHER of these perceived limitations be a limit to you? If you
>are so confident that HTML etc could do for you what the other formats
>cannot, then the only limitation is YOU!

>Create your dream CV, do what you will. Those that choose not to allow you
>to do this are not required.

>Your creation is or can be open to the world. Create your masterpiece then
>all you need to do is select the companies for whom you would LIKE to work,
>send them a letter politely but firmly advising "them" what you can do with
>a "CHECK THIS OUT" message.

Do I detect a pinch of spite, or possibly sarcasm in your response?
Are you one of those "old school" folk who refuse to upgrade from Win 3.X?
Get with times matey. Dont be jaded by progress. It's just a discussion -
there's no need to publicly vent your inadequacies on the innocent.
If you really enjoy working with word, that's ok ...so do I! But remember,
it's only consumers that stifle progress.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Nigel Dawes
Architectural Consultant
Chartres Business Solutions
(02) 9247 2090

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:42:36 +1000
From: Peter Sanders <psanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [austechwriter] Re: Resumes are a show case for a Tech  Writer
Sender: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I DO like the semi-trailer approach that IS lateral thinking, no wonder she
got the job.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:56:58 +1000, Nigel Dawes <NDawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> plus you could do some special things with it to make your applications
>> stand out from the pack

> The possibilities are endless when it comes to a CV using multimedia
> formats.
> And in this day and age of IT, when things are so difficult, imagine what
> you could do to stand out.
>
> Consider the approach many graphic designers take in order to get
> noticed in an ever-more competitive market.
>
> Actually (OT!): A friend of mine, some years back,  hired a
> semi-trailer for a job interview and turned the entire thing into her
> [graphic design] portfolio. Needless to say, the employer (Disney) was
> blown away and she got the job.
>
> It's a pity we're limited by the formats/formatting that job agencies
> impose on us.
> Pfff.... Word is so limiting!

Why should EITHER of these perceived limitations be a limit to you? If you
are so confident that HTML etc could do for you what the other formats
cannot, then the only limitation is YOU!

Create your dream CV, do what you will. Those that choose not to allow you
to do this are not required.

Your creation is or can be open to the world. Create your masterpiece then
all you need to do is select the companies for whom you would LIKE to work,
send them a letter politely but firmly advising "them" what you can do with
a "CHECK THIS OUT" message.

The results may not be immediate, however if your masterpiece is as good as
YOU think it can be then it must stick in the minds of the propective
employee for future reference.

Go for it. Good luck, and please let me know where to see it :-)

Regards

Peter