[austechwriter] Re: Bogus positions and similar traps

  • From: "Paul Birkwood" <paul.birkwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:57:01 +0930

Hi Howard,

In North America, it is common practice for public companies to advertise
for positions to trick their stock holders/market into thinking that the
product/project timelines are on target.

I haven't seen much evidence of this in Australia but I have seen companies
that advertise for tech writers but then have a change of heart. For
example, project managers may, start a hiring process for contract tech
writers based on assumptions that their timelines are correct. But when
reality sets in, the hiring process is put on hold. If the design and
development side of the budget becomes inflated, there may be no money left
to pay for adequate documentation. So they utilise other means to 'document'
the product. We all know what these means might be.

Cheers