[austechwriter] Re: BA training

  • From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:30:47 +1000

Dear Chris,

I find the responses so far very amusing. There are obviously two schools of
thought: the systems analyst vs the business analyst.

Like a tech writer vs and editor, they each have skills in common. Also like
a tech writer vs and editor, each has difficulty doing the other's job but
they can do it, more or less.

To my way of thinking, each heads towards the same goal from a different
end. In heavily IT-oriented companies, which more than not tend to be the
employment of a technical writer, a Systems Analyst is preferred and the vv
holds true as well.

I choose to sum it up like this:

1) Most important - it's just a name for a role. Everyone disgrees on these
sorts of issues regularly. Am I tech writer, info analyst, info architect,
knowledge manager or what?

2) A BA takes on the business principles easily, checks their compliance,
then starts talking with systems engineers to ensure that automated business
processes are indeed doing what they should.

3) A SA takes on the IT architecture very easily, and then checks with
managers and CEOs etc to ensure that the automated business processes are
indeed doing what they should.

Hell, to be really nasty, try flying this one off Tech Whirlers - in some
ways it's no more or less than Andrew Plato and his constant diatribes
attempting to separate those folks who are technical and who then write, and
those people who write and then are technical.

However, I find this distinction between the two important:

A BA should know corporate laws. An SA should know IT standards. I think
that says it all really.

Now, as for where to go and what to do to improve your BA skills, I would
suggest a corporate law course straight away! :-)

Oh, just for the stir value, the tech writer's version is a process analyst.

Steve Hudson

Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
Tricky stuff with Word or words for you.
Email:      word_heretic@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Products:   http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic/products.html
Spellbooks: 1129 pages of dump left and dropping...

The VBA Beginner's Spellbook: For all VBA users.