[austechwriter] ASTC VIC: August Meeting "Writing Outside the Box"

  • From: "Fiona Gologranc" <fionamg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austechwriter" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:20:26 +1000

The ASTC (Vic.) meeting for August is being held on Thursday 7th in South
Melbourne - see below for location details
Extraordinary General Meeting

**********************************

Preceding our 7 August meeting we will be holding an Extraordinary General
Meeting to discuss and vote on the motion that
"The next Annual General Meeting be held in May 2004 and then annually in May
thereafter".

Note: This is permissible within our Constitution and the legal requirements of
Incorporation.

August Meeting

**********************************

"Writing Outside the Box" - Presented by Gary Calwell

These days, the box containing those golden technical writing positions
seems to be getting smaller and smaller.  Now, more than ever, we need to be
aware of the value that we provide to organisations and then market
ourselves accordingly.  This interactive session uses Six Sigma quality
tools and material from Gary's recent AODC presentation: "Taming the Big
Project" to take a fresh look at some of the things we do as technical
communicators.

*  Why do some tech. writers earn a fortune while others earn only peanuts?
*  How can we secure more interesting roles?
*  What influence can we have over the structure and strategy of documentation
projects? ... and the biggest question of all ...
*  Why can't business analysts and programmers write (or can they)?

**********************************

Bio

Gary Calwell formed his own company in 1994 and since then has worked as a
contractor for many organisations in the role of technical writer,
instructional designer and trainer.  Gary has facilitated many courses
ranging from SAP procedures to business skills and is currently implementing
a quality program at the ANZ.

**********************************

Meeting Location:

VTR Consulting's offices are in South Melbourne. The address is Roseneath
Place, South Melbourne (near the corner of Market and Clarendon Streets). You
can find the location in your Melways on map 2F - C12 or on the web at
http://www.vtr.com.au/vtrmap.html

Please note: The doors open at 6:20pm and the talk starts promptly at 6:40pm.

Cost: ASTC (Vic) members free, Others $5

The ASTC (Vic) meets on the first Thursday of every month between 6:30p.m. and
8:30p.m.

Regards,
Fiona Gologranc
ASTC Administrator