[audubon-news] FW: Newswire, April 23, 2004

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audubon-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:34:20 -0400

> Audubon Newswire
> Volume 2, Number 8
> April 23, 2004
>
> In this issue:
> -- Federal Judge Halts Navy Work on Proposed North Carolina Landing Field Site
-- Norm Brunswig and Barbara Salzman Honored with 2004 National Wetlands Awards
>  -- Audubon Society of New Hampshire Reports 500-Acre Land Acquisition for IBA
> -- Mississippi Named One of America> '> s Ten Most Endangered Rivers
> -- Pennsylvania Moves to Expand State> '> s Largest Egret Colony on Wade Isle
> IBA
> -- Audubon Members Underwrite Texas Galleries Prints Honoring J.J. Audubon
> -- USFWS Offers E-Field Trips to Students on the Impact of Invasive Species
Judge Halts Navy Work on North Carolina Landing Field Site: Audubon's Suit
Results in Injunction on Plan that Imperils Pilots, Migratory Birds, Communities

Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 22, 2004 - U.S. District Court Judge Terrence
Boyle this week ordered the U.S. Navy to stop work on a planned jet landing
field in eastern North Carolina.  The injunction issued by the court supports
arguments made against the Navy by The Southern Environmental Law Center
(SELC), representing the National Audubon Society, Defenders of Wildlife, and
the North Carolina Wildlife Federation, as well as those made by lawyers for
Washington and Beaufort counties.

In a suit filed in January, the groups contended the government's environmental
impact studies for the landing field downplayed the substantial risk of
collisions between jets and the large flocks of tundra swans, snow geese and
other birds that winter in the area.  In comments accompanying his decision,
Judge Boyle stated,  "the Navy's decision to locate the OLF at [the Washington
County site] may have been a clear error of judgment."  The court also pointed
out that the Navy's planned land acquisitions will immediately "result in
irreparable harm," including "harm to the numerous tundra swans and snow geese
that spend the winter months at the lakes and refuges close to the proposed
OLF."

"This is a major victory for all those who have tried so long to get the Navy
to listen to reason and choose a safer, less damaging location for jet
training," said Audubon North Carolina Executive Director Chris Canfield.  "We
hope the Navy will see this stay as a good opportunity to work with state
leaders in coming up with an alternative plan."  For more information, visit
<http://www.audubon.org/news/press_releases/index.html>.

> [...]
> peaked in 1990, when 345 nests were counted.  For more information, visit
> <http://pa.audubon.org/Ibamain.htm>.
> Texas Galleries Commemorate John James Audubon With Limited Edition Avian
> Lithographs: Audubon Members Laura And Walter Elcock Underwrite Series
> Through 2007
>
> Austin, TX, Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - Longtime Audubon members, Laura and
> Walter Elcock of Dallas, Texas, have underwritten a special Limited Edition
> Avian Lithograph Series to benefit the environmental conservation efforts of
> Audubon Texas.
>
> Billy Hassell, a well-known Fort Worth artist, has been commissioned by
> Audubon Texas to release one limited edition lithograph each April for five
> years to commemorate the birthday of John James Audubon.  Each lithograph
> will represent a different region of Texas and will be produced in a very
> limited quantity of 30.  The first, entitled > "> Great Egret with Four Eggs>
> ">  was released in April 2003: the second, entitled > "> Dogwood Canyon> ">
> was released in April 2004.  A portion of each sale of the lithographs
> supports Audubon programs in Texas, including environmental education, local
> Audubon centers and sanctuaries, and natural resource conservation.
>
> Receptions are planned in April and May to unveil the Dogwood Canyon print to
> members and donors.  Participating galleries include Conduit Gallery, Dallas;
> William Campbell Contemporary Art, Fort Worth; Meredith Long and Company,
> Houston; Parchman Stremmel Galleries, San Antonio and d berman gallery,
> Austin.  Visit
> <http://www.audubon.org/news/press_releases/TX_Elcock_Release_April20th2004.html#TopOfPage>
>  for the full story.  To attend one of the receptions in your community,
> please visit our website at <http://tx.audubon.org/events/events.htm> for
> more information.
> U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Helps School Kids Take a Virtual Visit with
> some of America> '> s Least Wanted Plants and Animals Through E-Field Trips
>
> Washington, D.C., Friday, April 23, 2004 - This week, the U.S. Fish and
> Wildlife Service (USFWS) is inviting school kids online to visit with and
> learn more about America> '> s least wanted plants and animals.  Through
> these E-Field Trips, the USFWS is educating children about invasive species
> and what they can do to help reduce the impact of these plants and animals
> that cause harm to America> '> s native wildlife.
>
> Audubon is working to reduce the impact of invasives on National Wildlife
> Refuges and other important bird areas by securing the funding necessary for
> proper control and educating the public in partnership with the USFWS.  This
> program, sponsored and conducted by the Agency, includes virtual visits,
> engaging activities, journal keeping, and question & answer sessions with
> USFWS experts.  Go to <http://www.efieldtrips.org/invasives/>>  for more
> information and to find out how you can participate.

You are subscribed to Audubon-News. To unsubscribe, send email to
audubon-news-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To
adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,
//www.freelists.org/list/audubon-news.