[audio-pals] Re: folks, forgive me, I'm new at this.

  • From: Thomas McMahan <thomas.mcmahan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 14:38:09 -0600

Okay, well I’m presuming you don’t have a digital recorder around since you’ve
asked this question.  But barring that, your computer or smart phone is your
friend.  In the case of my phone I have an app called Ht professional recorder,
but don’t know if you have smart phone and what OS it is.  Josh has also used
his i-phone to record letters, not sure what app he used though, maybe HT also.
 If you have android phone I don’t know what apps are available to record with.

Your computer may have a recorder with it, I know our notebook has one that
Windows 8.1 has in there, but have no idea how good it is, I use Total recorder
for that machine.  They do have a free version, it just won’t do what it can do
if you decide to pay for it which then expands what it can do.  I haven’t
messed with it to much though, but it is accessible at least.  I think Liz uses
Goldwave but she does other audio stuff too so perhaps she’ll speak up
concerning the Windows side of things, although maybe not since I understand
that she’s just gotten engaged, so obviously congratulations are in order for
Liz.

If your computer is a Mac there is a free app called Audio Recorder and it will
work with either an Intel machine using Yosemite all they back to old powpcs
running tiger if you have an old mac.  I know because I’ve had that since 2007
in our old power pc, and just booted it up in Yosemity.  Can’t remember the
website, but I can always copy it and put it up on SS then send you the link.

The other obvious thing then is a mike.  If you Skype or any of that stuff,
then no problem just use what you use for that.  A lot of computers have mikes
already in them especially laptops and notebooks.  If you don’t have one though
they can be bought fairly cheap even a USB mike nowadays is quite reasonable.

So you would then do your recording, then copy and paste it into the group box
folder in dropbox if you have the tool, or go to the website and upload it via
the website using your browser, although I find it a lot easier to just use the
tool.  Then just post a message to the group that it’s up there, if you wish
you should probably include the public link to the file though so that non DB
users can go get it too, although if it’s DB only I am going to copy it too and
will then post a sendspace link too so that again there is another option.
Some people have trouble with DB, and some others don’t care for sendspace,
which I guess I wouldn’t either if I used a browser to go get a file.  But most
anything over the past few years I have archived up there.  My big problem is
anything before 2010.  Haven’t been able to recover those yet.  Maybe never
will think the disk or disks that stuff was on went bad on me and before late
2009 I didn’t have paid SS account so stuff in a free account will go by by in
30 days if no download activity happens.  Or maybe it’s just up there for 30
days anyway for free accounts on Sendspace.

So susinctly putting the questions to you, it’s a matter of what you have on
hand.  A smart phone?  Computer which we know you have, so then do you have a
mike with it, or have to get one, and then an app such as total recorder.  The
recording end to put together sometimes is the hard end verses the storage of
it.

I primarily use a digital recorder and just port it over, but had the money to
get a couple of them and I play with those more than I do a cell phone *lol*.
The digital recorder is a blind person’s camera, and I enjoy having my little
audio camera around *lol*.  But I don’t know if you have the budget to go that
way especially for an accessible one, or nearly fully accessible one, although
I primarily know about Olympus recorders.  Perhaps Zoom Recorder has a machine
that is more affordable, and there is another brand of one that is fairly
popular too outside of the group, just can’t think of it right at the moment,
and their prices are good, but their machines have some limits.  Perhaps I will
cover some of that in my next audio letter.  It will be more information for
you and Maria for example, but people like Josh and Liz will probably fall
asleep because they’ve heard it before *lol*.  But if Liz falls asleep perhaps
then we’ll be able to get rid of the cold weather that we have here and send it
back to Canada *lol*.

 On Feb 17, 2015, at 1:50 PM, randy tijerina <rtijerina3@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> thanks...I'll have a look see....how...if I wanna record an audio thing for
> the group to hear...What shall I do?
> At 01:43 PM 2/17/2015, you wrote:
>> Hi Randy, I am about to go over and share the group box folder.  you will
>> then get a message from dropbox.  It will say it comes from
>> the.shadow483@xxxxxxxxx that is the account that I have linked to DB.  If it
>> doesn’t show up in your mail then check your spam folder because it may
>> put dropbox’s mail there when it comes.  The e-mail will have a link and
>> you can do your sign up and it will then add that folder automatically to
>> the folders you would have by default in DB.  So be on the lookout.  I am
>> sending you the message first before doing it so as it won’t catch you off
>> guard, or ou won’t find dropbox’s e-mail sitting in your spam folder and
>> wonder, “who is that?”
>>
>> > On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:01 PM, randy tijerina <rtijerina3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > i'd appreciate it...I'd love to make friends here.

>> > * To post to the audio-pals group send e-mail to: audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > and put the word
>> > unsubscribe in the subject line of the e-mail.
>> > and put the word subscribe in
>> > the subject line of the e-mail.
>> >

>> > *
>>
>> * To post to the audio-pals group send e-mail to: audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> put the word
>> unsubscribe in the subject line of the e-mail.
>> put the word subscribe in
>> the subject line of the e-mail.
>>

>> *
>

> * To post to the audio-pals group send e-mail to: audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> put the word
> unsubscribe in the subject line of the e-mail.
> put the word subscribe in
> the subject line of the e-mail.
>

> *

put the word subscribe in