[audio-pals] Re: a question

  • From: Thomas McMahan <thomas.mcmahan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 10:36:14 -0500

We have 4 groups at the moment Jamie, Emissives, frilliest.org, Googlegroups,
and on groups.io. Eventually we hope to find a server that is at least
reasonably accessible to all members, yet doesn’t like to periodically crash
and leave us stranded for days and days, and is fairly reasonable with
everybody’s e

On Jun 5, 2015, at 9:13 AM, jamie <jaimemcgill27@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:-mail
providers that some members won’t constantly bounce.

So far here’s generally the results, although things with groups.io aren’t
fully certain yet because that list has only existed for 48 hours.

Server reliability: 3 out of the 4 are quite good at this point,
freelists.org, Googlegroups, and groups.io.

Accessibility to members generally, Emissives and groups.io are the top there.

Accessibility to administrators, again missives frilliest.org and groups.io are
all good and can be done, although frilliest.org isn’t very accessible to me
when I use firefox and nada. Feedback via e-mail to administrators the
strongest are groups.io and frilliest. Missives does also send me e
-mails but sometimes it can take a log time before I get them, and sometimes
takes quite a while for whatever is to be executed via e-mail to execute.
Mail bouncing from members, groups.io and Google groups so far are the better
options, however, you haven’t seen Googlegroups listed for some of the
previous categories such as e-mail feedback to administration, there is
little to none, and that isn’t good. I know that I don’t travel often, but
should those kinds of days happen, I would like to be signaled via e-mail
then I can simply do things via e-mail using my phone so thats one of the big
killers concerning Google groups. Now back to message bouncing, as I said
frilliest.org and groups.io both are good to very good concerning bouncing
mails. So far I don’t know of any mails bouncing on groups.io, and we have
only a couple members who bounce in frilliest.org, and those don’t seem to
bounce enough to suspend their actual mail, it’s just annoying to have two
extra e-mails per message too because of a bounce notice, then an actual
bounce report.

So yes we do have a group site on groups.io at this time, it is likely unless
something changes that we’ll be moving over there, the reasons tie into what’s
listed above, so at some point all members who haven’t moved over there will
get an invite to groups.io group. I am not going to just move people over
there, a lot of people get mad when that happens, well some do. It’s bugged me
a time or two when groups just up and moved with no notice. I am current in a
group that is on a private server system they just resurrect the group a few
weeks ago, but what unsubscribe options they gave us aren’t working, the man
who runs the group is in hospital, and I guess not in very good shape, and he
hasn’t instructed his wife about recent changes, so we are trapped in there and
can’t get out, so that is creating it’s own spam too. So keep an eye on your
e-mail in near future for a groups.io invite.

If you wish to give it a try though before the invite and of course that is no
problem you can either go to the homepage at:

https://groups.io/org/groupsio/audio-pals

Or if you prefer to subscribe via e-mail just send a blank mail to:

audio-pals+subscribe@xxxxxxxxx

The posting address is:

audio-pals@xxxxxxxxx

Shortly I will be sending out a link for audio letter that I did yesterday and
last night, dropbox users can probably already see it because it went up early
this morning, but couldn’t get sendspace to stop the transfer that was already
going, and have it switch to uploading the letter, I just hope it did that when
I was asleep. But I haven’t been able to check it, because I started with
e-mail first. This is the first e-mail worth answering too, but since you
asked I thought I would answer it as best as I can.

I will likely eventually shut down the Google group completely, it only had a
couple of members for testing purposes, and even though Google generally runs
well, there was no feedback, and I had to jump through hoops to run the list.
Of course there are always some hoops to jump through in running a list’s
administration interface, but the no notifications via e-mail pretty much kills
it there.

Emissives, we have to many members from the free.list side who’s addresses
bounce and bounce enough to suspend their mail at missives. Frilliest we have
a little bouncing, but many of the members who are in the missives group only
can’t edit their personal account settings etc with free.lists. I know I
couldn’t with firefox and nada. So frilliest.org and missives lists will be
suspended at some time, or just shut down and deleted. I may keep one up but
set everybody to no post, and no accepts for new members as a back up in case
groups.io crashes, but I think groups.io will probably be like e-groups.com
used to be. There will be some crashes, but maybe for day or so and they
should bounce back. Not for days at a time as missives has happened with us,
and the missives group has never had some of the traffic levels the frilliest
group has. So eventually we will all be on one list serve is my goal.

It will be a little culture shock for some of our missives group members
probably because they will have to catch up on the topics that are already
ongoing from our frilliest.org members.

But I am hoping we can get back more to how we had it with yahoo groups,
without actually being in yahoo groups, who’s administrative interface is,
well, bad for accessibility, and I am being a little kind about that.

Well this is a very long e-mail, it basically covers all that I talk about in
the audio letter too, but when I post that link you can of course still feel
free to listen if you like, because for once I wasn’t recording from my chair
at home *lol*. Well not for the first half of it at least.

hi all
do audio-pals have a cite on groups.io does any of you know i found one on
there called audio-pals if it is yours please let me know and why have you
got 2 groups
chat soon
jamie