[audio-pals] Wow! Always Excitement...

  • From: "Josh" <lawdog911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:50:45 -0400

As the subject line says there is always excitement in this household. I
went to school just like any other day this morning. No problems through my
first class. Then I get to my second class location and was heading inside
when bam out of nowhere I step in a hole or my cane went in a hole and I
fell to the ground. In the process of falling to the ground my cane broke in
half. I got up and thought well I am fine, so I go ahead and head inside. As
I stood around waiting on my next class the pain and throbbing of the joints
and muscles started to set in. I called Amanda to have her bring me my cane
because she is only interning on Tuesdays and Thursdays, only open position
for internship, so she was available to bring me my back up cane. While
waiting on Amanda to arrive, where I wait is right beside my Professor's
office, my Professor came into her office and I told her I may be late to
class due to the fall and my cane breaking. She of course asked if I was ok
and at the time I was stoved up, but not in a pain that was unbearable. So,
she went on in her office and the pain continues to intensify so I ask her
if she has a chair. She gets me a chair. She says she is going to notify her
department head and the disability office regarding the incident. I tell her
ok, thankyou. So, Amanda arrives, I get my new cane and head downstairs to
class. By the time I am having trouble navigating the stairs due to the pain
shooting through my leg. However, I make it to the bottom and my class is
straight across from the stairs. My Professor arrives and comes up to me
telling me she received an email back from both the disability office as
well as her department head who both recommended that I go to the student
health center. I am glad that I did. However, before I gt ahead of myself. I
inquired as to whether the campus police can escort me over there so I can
avoid taking the steps again back up. She said they should be able to do
this. Well, I go to the office and wait. One of the ladies in the office
informs me after getting off the phone with the campus police that the
police cannot escort me over to the student health center due to liability.
So, I begin to ask her if she can help me get back to the doors by elevator
because the only way I have oriented is the steps on this level so I had no
clue. About this time the department head walks out of her office and
inquires about the campus police situation. She is overtly disgusted over
this situation and says she will be making some phone calls to question this
when she got back to her office . In the meantime though she offered to take
me over to the student health clinic and we arrived without problems. So, I
am seen and the doctor orders 3 different X-Rays. He wanted an X-Ray of my
writs, my knee, and my ankle and shin. This was a bit painful for sure and
the X-Ray tech kept apologizing. So, the outcome of the X-Rays shows no
recent breaks at this time the doctor says, but once he has the radiologist
look at it he will send me an email. He said I am definitely stoved up and
have some sprains i.e. the wrist and the ankle. He has put my ankle in a
boot and he would have liked to put me on crutches, but he said he has never
had to put someone who is visually impaired on crutches and wondered how
that was done. I have never been on crutches since going blind so I had no
idea. So we decided to forego the crutches and just went with the ace
bandage and boot to secure my ankle in place. He prescribed some muscle
relaxers that he said I probably only want to take at night because of the
fact it will make me sleepy. He also prescribed Aleve for the inflammation
and suggest to get the back to unlock that Amanda massage the blood back
into my back because he believes that it has just locked up. He said if I
continue to have any problems to come back and he will put my wrist in a
splint. Right now I am scheduled to go to their sports management office to
see if they recommend anything else here in a couple of weeks. He said that
if everything has returned to normal then I can cancel the appointment. So,
now Amanda is having to make her third trip to the campus today and this
time it is to take me home with her. This boot is really annoying, but had I
had to have crutches I would have probably just talked to my classes about
having online courses for the rest of the semester *LOL*. I hate the cane
snapped and was surprised that the disability office did not have one to
loan out for emergency use.