[audio-pals] Re: Older Houses

  • From: Thomas McMahan <shadowmonstrosity@xxxxxxx>
  • To: audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 03:34:11 -0500

Wouldn’t worry about a house on market for 5 months.  Most around here are on a
year or so.  To many deals fall through each time that happens that just adds
more time that the house is sitting there.  Age, is only a problem if the house
hasn’t been kept up and modernized over the years.  There are people who prefer
older houses simply because they are more solid.  The house I live in was
placed here in 1922.  Yes it came from somewhere else.  The house next door is
older and was also brought in here from another place too.  Fairly common in a
town that springs up by a railroad.  I wouldn’t worry so much about that as
apposed to how it’s fundamentally built, there are a lot of newer places that
are likely to give you just as much trouble if not more.

Any house is going to have ongoing mantainence of some kind.  Sided house are
nice but siding fades over the years for example and eventually would need
replacing.  Wooden houses have their things that have to be done, and so would
brick, but brick is the best option as far as I’m concerned accept maybe when a
big earthquake comes, then I would favor a wooden house, but what are the
chances of that huh?

I don’t know the market down there anymore so don’t know if that is a low ball
figure on that house or not, but I can tell you it is larger than mine is and
mine is two stories, but so is it’s price too.

Go through it with a fine tooth comb with the idea of what has to be fixed now,
and then in the next 5 years and what would be ongoing over the years, I don’t
think for the long term ongoing it will be much different than a 10 year old
house verses the 60 year old house, but agin it is a matter of what would
immediately have to be worked on.  When was the house last occupied too?  A
house that hasn’t been occupied for a good while can have problems such as
drainage because they haven’t been flushed etc.  It sounds like you already
have someone with you who knows how to examine a foundation well and give you
an idea of what would have to be done and when which is good.  Same with tuck
pointing brick etc.

It may be sitting on market because folks think it’s to high also, but you are
going to drop in a price and they will take it or leave it, or you both the
buyer and seller will eventually come up with something in the middle, or the
seller is going to have an empty house on their hands.

What heating and cooling does it have, and when was it installed too that is a
factor, a 30 year old furnace is getting kind of old in this part of the world,
but most of our furnaces are gas and they do have to work pretty hard for a
good part of the year.  Does it have any chimnies, and where do they run
through the house.  Ones that run through centers of houses on the surface are
nice, but when they have to be worked on they are a lot more work.  Of course
where you live a lot of homes are electric heat and electric water heat, which
is another thing to add to your check list, how old is the water heater and
when will you be replacing that.  A brand new house obviously you would get to
wait a while before doing that, but chances are you would have to do it
eventually, or have your price knocked down when you are selling it, or when
your descendants are selling it.  But that goes with any house again.

What neighborhood is it in?  How accessible is it to you.  Pretend Amanda had
to leave town for a Month and start your math, what is easy to get to via
walking etc.  Maybe that isn’t a problem for you at this moment, but life can
always hand you changes, and well, next thing you know, you are walking to the
grocery store if you know what I mean.

Find out what their highest bills were for each utility in the last year it was
occupied if you can, you need that in planning a general budget.  I don’t know
your property tax situation anymore, but here they just give an estimate from
the seller, but the problem is, that if the sell lived in the house for a long
time you might get a little surprise when the annual taxes come.  Our’s wasn’t
a surprise because the previous owner hadn’t lived or owned the house for to
long.

So it becomes also a matter of do you get a house that you won’t have to do any
work or as little work as possible on, verses one that may have to have some
work done, or one that is a fixer upper.  We bought a fixer upper, but when we
bought it was a seller’s market, it definitely isn’t that nowadays, so we went
for a house we knew we could likely get.  Well the trade off is that it’s
needed work done on it and still does actually, but likely we would at least
get some money back when we sell it.  Maybe not a lot but probably some when
all is said and done, and of course the sell of this place could be the lverage
to getting a better place.  It’s probably what you parents did, if not them
then your grand parents did, that is more the normal thing in history.  Well up
until recently where you have people who expect to buy a brand new house that
is larger than what their parents owned as their first house.  Well if it can
be swung, go for it, but to me it’s a little unrealistic, well to my income
level it is *lol*.

What appliances are already there, and how quickly do you think you will be
having to replace say: stove, washer, or more of a bear dishwasher?  What about
cabinetry etc, is Amanda happy with that, having that done can also be
expensive unless you have someone who works with you to give you a break.  How
much stuff will you guys do on your own for modifications verses having to hire
outsiders.  So yes the advantage of a new place is that you won’t have to do
that, but I guarantee you will pay up front for that, but that is why newer
houses don’t stay on market long.

So then it falls back to degree of work and mantainence that has to be done.