[audio-pals] Re: Nose Back to The Grind

  • From: Thomas McMahan <shadowmonstrosity@xxxxxxx>
  • To: audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:09:22 -0500

Better a smaller house that needs less fixing up, than a big spacious one that
you will have to start fixing up on immediately especially when looking at a
budget on one income.

Now two different strategies come into play here.

You can go for this one house with the idea of eventually getting ahead on the
loan then selling short, or completing loan early and selling, thus at least
getting your money back as leverage against another house that is more of what
you want.

Option 2, keep renting for a year or two and keep saving back money when you
both are on your feet, then striking for what you want.  There are advantages
each way around actually.

The 3rd is the fixer upper option, more of what you want in a place but, can
some of the jobs be waited upon until you have money to cover them.  The
problem with owning a house is that there’s always something braking, and well,
guess who has to fix it?  Or pay for the fixing, and the heating cooling guy
charges as soon as he walks into the door, they have a nice little racket going
actually *lol*.

One other comment to consider, throughout history, most first houses aren’t
what people actually want as their dream house, unless their dream house is
simple and affordable from the start which usually isn’t the case.

This one you are talking about is 300 square feet less than my house here, but
it definitely has more land around it because mine is on a city lot, but mine
is two stories also, so if that one is a ranch it is going to fill up that lot
some.  Also does it have any other buildings on the land for storage such as
sheds or garage?  If not, then there’s something to be built while you live
there and then up the value of the place on the market when you want to sell.
It won’t be much more room, but it will be your room and your house payment in
the long run can come back to you verses filling a landlord’s pocket.

I like the practicality of can we afford it and our bulls on just your income,
that is smart budgeting because when Amanda is working then that’s money to the
good that can be banked against times when she’s not working.

Lots of angles to consider here actually.