[audio-pals] Re: New member from the north of Scotland

  • From: "Josh" <lawdog911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 21:50:09 -0500

Okay, I will give you my stance on this debate. No, it is not set up in a way
that is beneficial. In fact I feel like as much as they scream and holler it is
temporary, Welfare creates a dependency. A person cannot afford to take a raise
of any kind for fear of losing benefits that they have come to depend on.
Bethann you did not necessarily depend on the Welfare, but as little as 50
cents got a lot of benefits cut from you, that isn’t right. I have listened to
documentaries of people passing up good paying jobs because in order to take
the job they would be worse off than when they were on Welfare due to the fact
that wages are better, but not enough to replace and improve the position that
they were in. One lady in the documentary referred to this as hustling
backwards, she takes a raise, but her benefits are cut and so it is like taking
two steps backwards. So, my answer when the professor asked if Welfare was set
up in a good way was no, it creates a dependency. So, she then went on to ask
how to fix this problem. I had an answer for this as well. I told her that I
believe that raising the minimum wage would help. I originally took the stance
that raising the min wage would result in inflation, but the research does not
support this. However, a guy that I have kind of challenged on a couple of
things sits behind me spoke up with the common misconception “raising the min.
wage will cause inflation”. Being the big mouth that I am I spoke up and said
that he is incorrect and that the research does not support this notion. So, he
then challenged me saying that corporate is not going to take a cut, which is
probably true, but they can afford to take the cut. If they want to make money
and they are forced to raise min. wage then one of two things will occur they
will close up shop or they will pay the higher min. wage. If they raise their
price too high then they are going to have to close up shop anyways. So, they
have a vested interest in keeping the price where the consumer can afford it
while complying with the law. He said this about corporate and all I had time
to say was corporate can afford to give people a few more dollars an hour. When
I said this a chuckle or two came from the other side of the room. Then one guy
took the floor and commented on a grocery store named Kroger. He supported what
I was saying with the fact Kroger just dida 30 million dollar renovation to
their store to paint some pictures on the wall and a couple of other things.
How many people’s min. wage could have been raised from this? Corporate America
definitely has the money. I feel that to really make it work regulations are
going to have to be put in place to cap at the top. Still allow them to make an
astronomical amount of cash, but cap it off at the top so that inflation would
cause them to go over the cap and then hit the regulations on the bottom
requiring a higher min. wage. So, probably more than anyone wanted to know, but
basically my argument was welfare creates a dependency and corporate America
can afford to raise the minimum wage despite what they may say.

From:  <mailto:audio-pals-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> audio-pals-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From:  <mailto:audio-pals-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> audio-pals-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx