[audio-pals] New kid on the cellblock to be community radio station

  • From: "Ray T. Mahorney" <mahorney.r.t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 21:47:23 -0000

New kid on the cellblock to be community radio station A section of the former
Somerset County Jail
in Skowhegan is targeted for transformation.
http://www.pressherald.com/news/New_kid_on_the_cellblock_to_be_community_radio_station_.html

SKOWHEGAN - A once grim, concrete cellblock in the former Somerset County Jail
will soon be home to
the strains of blues, jazz, rock, folk and world music.

A new radio station is coming to the old jail and should be on the air this
summer, said Maine radio
veteran and project coordinator Annie Stillwater Gray.

Earlier this year, the Federal Communications Commission granted a construction
permit to the
Wesserunsett Arts Council to operate a station at 98.1 on the FM radio dial.

"It's a community station. That's the main thing everyone ought to know," Gray
said. "It's a
noncommercial frequency, low power."

Studios will be built in three jail cells and a stark day room at the former
jail, now home to the
Somerset Grist Mill and other businesses, including The Pickup Cafe and
Community Supported
Agriculture program and the Skowhegan Farmers' Market.

Grist Mill co-owner and founder Amber Lambke of Skowhegan is offering the space
free to the arts
council in exchange for on-air promotional considerations.

"They're affiliated with the Wesserunsett Arts Council, so we're actually going
to be donating this
space for them to use because the visibility that can be obtained by having
radio in Skowhegan will
benefit us as well," Lambke said. "They'll need to outfit the space themselves,
but rent will be
donated."

Lambke said she will install electrical outlets for the radio station studios
and broadcast space.
There also will be extra space upstairs at the old jail for a music library,
which Gray said will be
populated immediately with CDs donated by Colby College, where she and her
husband, Andy Wendell,
host on-air radio programs on WMHB.

There are no call letters for the new station yet.

The FCC construction permit was free, but Gray said the arts council still
needs to raise money in
order to be up and running by an FCC-imposed deadline. The council needs to
raise $35,000 to outfit
the studios.

Gray, of Solon, and arts council president Serena Sanborn, of Canaan, said they
will apply for
grants to purchase of equipment and renovate the former cellblock - numbered
E-13. Each of the three
7- by 10-foot cells in the block had two metal beds fastened to the wall and a
stainless steel
commode.

The Somerset County Jail moved to new space in East Madison in 2008. Lambke and
business partner
Michael Scholz of Albion, a baker and wheat farmer, bought the property for
$65,000 the following
year. The old hoosegow is also home to Happy Knits, a yarn shop; the Tech Spot,
where schoolchildren
teach older people how to use the Internet and social media; a suite of cells
used by an online
trader of Asian antiques; and a seasonal pop-up shop in the former jail
administrator's office. That
space also will be used this summer by Somerset Public Health as a temporary
dental clinic,
according to Lambke.

Inside the cellblock this past week, with its menacing, sliding metal door and
prisoner dinner-plate
slot, Lambke said she hopes the radio station will help Skowhegan become a hub
of commerce, art and
food. She said windows will be replaced for a better view of the farmers'
market, which operates
outside in the former jail parking lot.

"I am so excited to have a radio station here," Lambke said. "A couple of trips
I've taken down to
New York City - you see the role that radio plays in getting the word out about
food issues and food
scenes. I think artists and writers and radio - I think it all ties to this
cluster of goods and
services we're trying to build and promote here. I think it's great."

Gray said the signal will be broadcast from Bigelow Hill in Skowhegan, with
support from station
technician Timothy Smith. Smith said the walls of the former cellblock will be
covered with material
that will be more acoustically friendly that the existing concrete and cinder
block construction.

A donation already has been received for the purchase of a computer, which will
be used in the new
station's initial broadcasts, Gray said.

"We'll be able to go on the air this summer with just a computer," Gray said.
"No one will be able
to do any shows, but this is just to get the signal up and running because of
the deadline of 18
months to graduate from a construction permit to a license. Most radio stations
are run by computer
now."

Gray said the ultimate goal is to have a fully equipped studio at the grist
mill for people to come
in and host their own community radio shows.

Sanborn said anyone interested in helping with the fundraising can visit the
Wesserunsett Arts
Council website: www.wesarts.org. Donations are tax-deductible.