[audio-pals] Re: Happy New Year!

  • From: "Josh" <lawdog911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 08:47:12 -0500

We started off the evening in Roane County at my sister-in-laws house. However,
before it got too late we headed home. I would say we headed home around 9:30.
One reason we left early is I am not extremely familiar with that area so back
roads were out of the question going home. So, going the main road means we are
contending with all the amateur and professional drinkers engaging in  drunk
driving. We passed at least one that was being given the Field Sobriety Test
and once it has made it that far the officers are for the most part just
following protocols for the court date. There was another one being pulled over
right around the “strip”. For people who do not know the strip is probably one
of the biggest party zones in Knoxville. It would probably be either the strip
or the “Old City”. We were almost home when my dad let me know about the
location of a D.U.I. Checkpoint. The checkpoint was being sat up less than a
mile from where we were passing as he let us know. The majority of the partiers
thought we were being a bit over cautious and one even decided she would make a
snide remark in which she got an agreeance out of me for *LOL*. She told me
that we needed to hurry and get home because she is one of the crazy drivers
going to be on the road in a little while. The scary part is she is probably
not far from the truth and she had a 2-year-old with her and a baby that was
less than a year old. As for us though we were not familiar with the area, we
have a little guy to protect, and we need to keep ourselves safe as well. So,
as for us we brought in the new year safe in the comfort of our home. We have
had some slightly new developments with the family situation regarding the fil
and the mil. Since Amanda sent the text a while back they have treated us with
a lot more respect and actually have taken steps to involve us in more things.
Take for instance the New Year’s celebration at the sil. We have never been
invited to their New Year celebrations in the past. Something that absolutely
stunned Amanda and myself is last Saturday the mil and the fil invited us to
join the rest of the family for a movie, their treat. We would have paid for
the movie, but it just stunned us because they have never included us in
anything other than the standard Thanksgiving and Christmas gathering as well
as some dinners here and there, but as for the rest of the family they have
included them in many more things. After Amanda told them what for though I
think or at least I hope they realized they were the ones not thinking clearly
ratherthan his previous statement on my vm that we are not thinking clearly
because we are not doing the right thing.   When we have been talked to by them
we have been talked to and not talked down to. This change has occurred over
the past couple of weeks. So, to use psychological terminology to positively
reinforce their behavior and the new found respect we have taken more steps to
involve them with Little Man even letting Little Man spend the night with them
last Friday night which according to the stories he told the next day he loved.
So, I know that they respected our wishes otherwise he would have told us all
about that as well.   In the past the snide remarks wouldn’t have just come
from the one girl, but we would have probably heard it from the fil as well.
This time though he was upbeat and not one snide remark came out of his mouth.
In fact he backed us up when he was talking to Little Man which is a drastic
change. We set a time when we went in there that we were going to leave, we
ended up leaving about 30 minutes after the time frame. I started getting a
little concerned when I was reading my officer friends on FB’s post about the
idiots and drunks being out earlier than usual that night. The mil did try to
convince us that we would be alright till midnight, that it wouldn’t get crazy
till after midnight, but I knew better and once I told her about the post on FB
she changed her tune a bit. I wished she was right or that I was not so alert
to the possibility of it getting bad early because they were making egg rolls
for dinner and they smelled great. I am generally not one to travel on New
Year’s Eve if it can be helped unless I know the area well enough to get us
home on back roads. So, for us to go to another county when we do not like to
be out on nights like this anyways is a big decision on our part. Anyways this
is what our New Year’s Eve consisted of. Let’s hope that 2015 is filled with
much less drama and I think it will be as long as the positive reinforcement is
there. In addition to hoping for much less drama, I hope that everyone succeeds
in keeping their New Year’s resolutions. I have a few from you know the usual
ones about being more healthy and losing weight and so forth, but I also threw
another one in there to fail at all my New Year’s resolutions. I figure by
throwing the fail safe inthere then I am at least going to be able to keep one
of the resolutions *LOL*. If I fail at failing all my new year’s resolutions
then I have only failed at one this year *LOL*.