[audio-pals] Re: Finally

  • From: Thomas McMahan <shadowmonstrosity@xxxxxxx>
  • To: audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 01:27:18 -0500

Yep I-phones you get what you get out of the box, and the same with the
computer.  The fundamentals are the same.  Go next door and see how accessible
their pc is for you to use without bringing over a memory stick or a dvd or cd
with a program that will talk, but if your neighbor has a mac just do command
f5 and voice over comes up.  It was rather revolutionary thinking on Apple’s
part.  A quiet revolution, but it paid off within 2 years of it happening with
Voice Over being put on i-phones, again revolutionary.  Android I guess is nice
for sighted people, but it can be dicey concerning accessibility, it isn’t
always that clear depending on certain variations within a given phone and what
it exactly has, and sometimes involves multiple apps to get it working right,
thus not built in natively whereas Mac OS and I-OS have voice over built in
natively, thus it’s more stable.  Again revolutionary in their thinking.  I’m
sure a lot of developers in 2005 weren’t happy about going to coco framework
from carbon, but Apple basically said that is the way it was going to be, and
they could adapt or be left behind.  They adapted for the most part.

Is Apple perfect?  No, but at least it is consistent for what it does, and
works out of the box, also has the bells and whistles that a lot of people
like, well in the phone world at least.

Android is Linux based, of course there are some advantages, but the
disadvantages are that like it’s parent source it is apt to variate, and the
linux world is very full of variations.  One distro of linux may be fairly easy
to make accessible, yet another may not be accessible at all with no
development yet to make it accessible even now.

So guess it just comes to picking your garden and what you like in taste for
your garden.  All of them are gardens, even linux to a small degree even though
it looks more like a wilderness, you have to work at accessibility, and or
finding it, and well, you get what you pay for, and since Linux is free,
sometimes you get exactly that.  Lots of chiefs and not many indians because
the indians don’t want to spend a lot of time learning something, they want to
point and click and go.  Most people that you meet and talk to about Linux have
little idea what is available, if they even know what Linux itself is.  But
they all know about Windows OS and Mac OS.  They may have strong opinions
either way, but they know something about them to some degree.  Mention Linux
and they think you are wanting to talk about furnaces *lol*.
As for sinking, it uses the cloud for some things, but i-tunes for things like
apps.  I would recommend downloading apps via your computer, and not the phone
itself, it is faster using computer on preferably ethernet, then just hook up
phone and sink via i-tunes.  Doesn’t use your carrier limits that way too.  But
with reminders app you can send to either device.  I’ve done reminders on phone
and had it send to computer when it was due and the other way around.  So I’m
sure with Calendar you can basically do the same thing.  It is in the process
of becoming scemeless between Apple devices, and it sounds like when the next
major OS and I-OS come out it is going to be even more integrated.  That is the
talk from Apple when they let it out that they were going to do I-OS 8 and
whatever their next major OS update comes out.  We just had a minor update for
computers with OS, but that was Safari and security updates, not a lot really.
But it wasn’t to far apart from the last I-OS update.  Usually the phones
update first.

Back to the gardens of operating systems, I know of no one who has made any
form of BSD accessible yet.  Linux is a small amount of users as a whole, but
it is large compared to the population using BSD.  BSD is very secure though,
but, well, not usable for the blind yet in any way.  Theoretically people think
Orca could be ported into BSD but I know of no one who has tried that yet.
Only know one person who has experimented with BSD, and that person can no
longer see well enough to use it now.