[audio-pals] Re: FW: VR Counselor is Horrible

  • From: "Josh" <lawdog911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:43:19 -0400

Is this a new member on the list?

Well, this morning has been spent looking for houses to rent. We need a bigger
house in order to take in children who have been placed in the foster care
system. I have found a potential house, but of course it has to meet the
wifey’s approval. It keeps Little Man in the same school system for the most
part which is a biggie, but it also gives us one extra room which gives us the
room we need in order to take in other children. Now that I have done some
number crunching I see where our max is on what we will pay for a rental each
month. Over the last couple of days I have also done some questioning of both
tax agents as well as Social Security representatives regarding the settlement
that Amanda and I got for the wreck. I told the tax agent what I had found
regarding tax exemptions on the internet. She took down my name and number and
gave me a call back. The answer I received from the lady was that I do not have
to report the money unless it was from missed work. This is the same
information that I found on the internet, but I wanted to make sure so I also
wanted a verbal confirmation of what I found. The first tax lady back when I
first got the money told me that I needed to pay taxes on it, so I am glad that
I went ahead and did my own research and didn’t settle for her answer. The next
hurdle was Social Security. I poked around on the Social Security internet
page, but that page is horrible if you have ever tried to find something on it.
The answers are there, but finding them is the problem because I believe too
much information is there. So, I left that page and just did a general Google
search and found a website that I am not sure was reputable or not, but
nonetheless she gave some links to some reputable websites. The websites said
unless it is earned income then I do not have to report it. So, instead of just
going with what some Joe Blow says I decided to give Social Security a call and
wait in that massive line of callers. Unfortunately my phone was not ringing or
something because I chose to get a call back, but when they called back my
phone did not ring only gave me the indicator that I had a voicemail. They
tried back a second time, but again my phone did not ring after I tried to fix
the problem. So, the first day was a fail at talking with Social Security. The
second day though I started right at 7 A.M. and got right through to a
representative. I asked her if the settlement is something that would effect my
benefits. She told me that if it was SSI then yes, but since I receive SSDI
then I am not going to be effected at all. I am glad I did a little research
and talked to the people I needed to talk to. This has been a busy last couple
of days just dealing with these things.