[audio-pals] Current Affairs

  • From: "Josh" <lawdog911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:24:07 -0500

I am currently in a debate that is not going real well for the other person
best I can tell, but I am a bit biased and I understand this since I am a
participant in this debate. I probably have already stated my stance on this
here once before, but nonetheless what do you all think about America's
Promise. My thoughts obviously are not party affiliated because the one that
originally stated this was a Tennessee Governor who is a Republican. I can
see if it was Obama only that generated this how it would be considered the
party or the person. Anyways For the people that do not know, America's
Promise involves giving high school graduates 2 years of free college. I
will go and get the post and you all can read it before giving me your
feedback. He says someone is going to pay for this. I agree someone will
pay, but I am thinking that they are not thinking pay the way I am thinking
pay, but I also agree that someone will pay in order for this to occur,
someone like the American people whether they take advantage of this free
schooling or not. However, I hijacked the post, I know, me hijack a thred,
that is ludicrous, but I did keep it relevant *LOL*. I argue that this will
weaken the degrees, I argue that not everyone wants to go to college, I
argue that employers are going to require more in order to get a job. What
do you all think? Am I off base with this argument? Do you all have an
opinion regarding this? I bring it here because I feel like Gary's last post
is starting to grasp at straws a bit and starts to take a different
direction in defending what I asked him to defend. I look forward to hearing
your all's thoughts regarding this.

Post:

 <https://m.facebook.com/brian.hudson.562?fref=nf&refid=52&__tn__=C> Brian

Mr. President I'm sorry, but I had to pay for my college education along
with everyone else I know who earned a college degree. Many of us have the
student loans to prove it. If I had to pay for it then everyone should have
to pay for it.
College education is not free Mr. President someone will have to pay for it
eventually. And I refuse to pay for anyone else's education because no one
but myself paid for mine.
Nothing worth having comes easy or free it must be earned with hard work.

Gary

Progression...it has to start somewhere.

Like . Report . Yesterday at 12:54am

Ryan

So if you buy, lets say, an xbox 360, at launch for 500$, and then next year
they lower the price to 349$... do you write back to microsoft and the
vendor demanding they raise the price back up... because freeloaders are now
getting a free 150$ subsidy that you didn't get.

You can't move forward if your crippled by revenge thinking... that just
because that opportunity didn't exist for you, it shouldn't exist for
anyone.

Like . 2 . Report . Yesterday at 10:33am

Robert

I don't think he heard you

Like . Report . Yesterday at 10:34am

Gary

The President also mentioned if you're out of school with existing students
loan payments, he wants to pass his budget to lower student loan payments
across

the board.

Like

Report

Yesterday at 11:18am

Robert

Also the free two years of community college was pioneered by none other a
republican governor, Tennessee's own Bill Haslam

Like

Like1

Report

Yesterday at 12:02pm

Noah

I'd rather pay to educate our fellow citizens and give them skill sets that
will allow them to be productive in society than pay taxes that go to
government

assistance. I too have a grotesque amount of student loans! I just feel like
this is something that could actually lower the costs and taxes associated

with government assistance and unemployment. Also, as a parent of two, this
will help tremendously to assure that my kids can go on to better
theirselves

through higher education. Pay it on the front end and receive the benefits
on the back end.

Like

Likes3

Report

Yesterday at 1:04pm

Stephie

It is not free, they will be required to do community service hours with
non-profit organizations, in exchange. It is a give~give situation. I have
had

the opportunity of receiving grants, scholarships, having to pay out of my
pocket, and getting student loans for my degrees. I don't have a hand out
for

free education but have no problem giving back because I received. There are
ways to get our student loan debts lowered, many, one being working with
AmeriCore.

There are many options already, this just enhanced opportunities for the
middle class who's parents make too much to qualify for fin. aid but don't
make

enough to pay for education.

Like

Likes2

Report

Yesterday at 1:24pm

Me (Josh):

The associate degree will be no better than a high school diploma in the
future if this takes hold. This of course is just my opinion.

Edited

Like

Edit

5 hours ago

Gary

Associate degree isn't really that much better than a high school diploma
already. I think more people will have chance to get a bachelor's degree if
two

years is already paid for. I think the incentive would be there for it. Btw
it's not like if this passes everyone will instantly  have a associates
degree...you

still have to maintain a certain grade average. You'll have to work for it.

Edited

Like

Report

4 hours ago

Tara

called earning your degree

Like

Report

4 hours ago

Me (Josh):

This may be true, but flip the coin. What if a person doesn't want to go to
college, what if they just want to graduate from high school and get a  job.

Now that  college is being made available for free, 2-years, does this mean
that employers that ordinarily would not have required a degree are now
going

to require a degree? If this is indeed the case, then we have now
essentially further limited job availability, rather than promoted job
growth. If you

do not think this is the case with employers wanting people that are going
to work hard for them then tell me why because Gary pointed out that a
person

will still have to work for their degree. Employers know this too and they
have no reason not to raise the requirements if everyone has the opportunity

to go to school for free. Likewise the bachelor's degree will be weakened as
well. Diversity is here for a reason.

Like

Like1

Edit

3 hours ago

Stephie

I am working on my third college degree, I do not go to school for a job or
for more money.. I go to school because I enjoy learning!

Like

Like1

Report

3 hours ago

Gary

I think we all can agree furthering education for everyone in the future
will better humanity and this country as a whole. There's a reason why the
United

States ranks so low in education, because other counties who rank higher
already offer these programs. Everyone has an opportunity to take advantage
of

this...There's no age requirements, you just have to work for it. I think
the whole argument if everyone does it it'll dumb down the value of a
certain

degree is something manifested by fear. It's the same argument people have
if you're against raising the minimum wage. People believe small businesses

will go under or prices will inflate..is completely untrue. 10 major cities
in the U.S. has already adapted a higher minimum wage and four more states

are about to approve it. Those cities and states who already did it isn't
collapsing, isn't inflating cost. All it's doing is building the economy.
Same

will happen if you give people an opportunity for higher learning. Yes it'll
drive competition, but that will equal better business and better pay.
Better

pay will mean more taxes to collect for even better programs for this
country to benefit from.

Edited

Like

Report