[audiality] Re: POLL: Integer or float?

  • From: Jay Vaughan <jv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audiality@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:16:02 +0100

        1) Integer only.
        2) Floating point only.
        3) Both, run-time selectable where applicable.

Floats. Don't bother about hardware - float-friendly hardware is always available. What's needed is a platform-agnostic framework which supports porting and subsequent optimization on whatever targets it may be aimed at.

What I'm saying is that scaling down to and below Pentium class
hardware might be out of scope for Audiality. There are smaller,
faster and simpler solutions for that class of applications.
(SDL_mixer, HMQ (MIDAS), BASS, FMOD etc.)

What matters is that you organize the framework in such a way that its portability is not limited by the CPU selection, but rather the other way around: its portability is a function of its layout, which enables other CPU's/hardware to be utilized for optimization.

I could be wrong though; that's why I'm asking for more opinions...

You've got a good kit which scales well on easily-available hardware. Make it scale well out to the exotic hardware scope as well, and it'll get even better.

--

;

Jay Vaughan