[audiality] New scripting engine

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audiality@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:54:20 +0100

I figured this might be of some interest to this list, since it'll
affect the future developments of Audiality quite a bit:

The new, rewritten, VM based, real time safe EEL has been released:

 http://eel.olofson.net/

EEL will eventually become the "core technology" of Audiality,
replacing (in some cases, rather messy) parts of the current engine,
as well as (obviously) the old direct-from-source AGW script parser.

This means that the current off-line/real time portitioning will go
away. You'll be able to render sounds off-line or "live" depending on
your needs, using the same language and toolkit. The current real
time effects and the off-line rendering toolkit will be refactored
into a uniform unit generator kit for both real time and off-line
processing.

Most of the (more or less incomprehensible, I guess :-) C API will be
replaced with a generic message passing API. The actual interface to
Audiality "songs" will be defined by the media author, rather than
hardwired in the engine. This should essentially elide all
restrictions as far as interactiveness and flexibility is concerned.