[audacity4blind] Re: warnings

  • From: Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 17:21:10 -0600

Hi David,

I don't know what's going on yet, but the last time I ran Audacity I didn't have the problem with JAWS 16.0.4350 on Win8.1 64-bit laptop, but here's what causes that message, at least for the SayActiveCursor script. JAWS finds the real window of the focused window (the track panel). It then searches for the control ID of the selection control (ID_SELECTION_END) and goes forward 2 controls. It doesn't check any of these. It then calls GetPositionField on this control, which returns the value to speak as a string. GetPositionField processes the value of the control to make it sound nicer. So there's several things that could happen that would cause this message. If it didn't find a real window, or didn't find the selection end control, or didn't get a control when it skipped the two controls, or if somehow the algorithm that processes the string came up with an empty string, the message would occur. The idea behind the message is that if the toolbar isn't selected it won't find the selection end control. Throwing in the processing of the value was, I think, just something easy to catch that error. After all, they always told me I wasted too much time testing for things that wouldn't happen! :-). I just tried it and it works for me. I actually had work last week, and I think I'll have one more day Tuesday. We could try using Skype and Tandem tomorrow or after Tuesday if you want. (I've never done that, but the docs sound like it should work.) Or try getting your feet wet by taking a stab at finding it. I think I'd start by sticking SayInteger() calls to make sure you're going down the path to find the control. Then a SayString to see what the actual control value is. If there is one, then follow through the nightmare in GetPositionField. Get hold of me off list and let me know what you want to do.

Gary

On 8/26/2015 3:34 AM, David Engebretson Jr. wrote:

I've been using the latest Audacity with JAWS scripts. If I press alt+del to here the current time/position, I get a warning saying "to use this feature you must enable the selection toolbar".
I have the selection bar enabled under the View->Toolbars menu...
Another symptom is that, when I use the arrow keys to navigate through a track/project, the time is not announced.
Any idears why this might be happening?
Best,
David