[audacity4blind] Re: track volume in a multitrack recording

  • From: "Robbie" <tickleberryfun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:44:31 +0100

Hi Paolo!
You can use shift-g to increase or decrease the track gain. However,
whereas you can set a peak value in Amplify to prevent clipping, track
gain simply applies which ever value you enter. So you're playing by ear.
I would maintain that simply amplifying several tracks to a peak value
does not necessarily achieve equal loudness. To achieve equal loudness I
use a Plugin called ReplayGain, which you can download here.
http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4685
It should be applied to each track individually. Then you can select all
tracks and perform Amplify to a peak value of 0 db. This will result in
all tracks playing at roughly the same perceived loudness, while the
highest peak in the project does not get clipped.

Cheers, Robbie