[audacity4blind] Re: still wrestling with latency and correcting it, help please

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:59:31 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Robert,
this looks really useful.
I gave it a try with the following results:
1. If the tempo(beats per minute) is set to 60 then it suggested a correction
of about -150ms, which appears to be correct.
2. If the tempo is set to 120 (the default), then it suggested a correction of
about -650ms,
which appears to be 500ms to much.

thanks,
David.

On Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 15:32, Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Steve,
Latency correction is firstly cumbersome and secondly not constant.
You will perceive that the correction does not hold true for each
session and recording.
Anyways, that's not the point.

I've written a plug-in to facilitate the whole procedure, I do attach
it (don't know if this works with mailing lists).
Put it in the plug-in folder and restart Audacity, it will appear in
the "Analyze" menu.

All you have to do is:
- Create a default (~120 bpm) click track (or the sample sound from
within the plug-in).
- Record at least 4 seconds.
- Select all (Ctrl-a)
- Call the plug-in -> Analyze, Accuracy about 5 or (better) higher -> OK.

If all goes well, The message box will tell you the exact value to
enter in the preference dialog.

It is important to select always two tracks in order to do the
analysis, otherwise only half of it is done (namely catching the
original sound).
The "Latency Info" can also be used to align similar tracks, e.g. to
insert good passages into bad ones.

Tell me if it works for you.

Regards
Robert