[audacity4blind] Re: sinchronizing tracks

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:58:01 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Steve,
there's a couple of ways you could do a trial and error method to find a
latency correction.
The first would be to start with just the drum track. Then:
1. change the latency correction slightly.
2. record the bass track.
3. See wether it sounds ok. If not then delete the bass track (shift+c deletes
the focussed track), and repeat steps 1 to 3.
This might be a bit tedious.

The second way would be to move the drum and bass tracks with respect to each
other until they sound about right, and then adjust the latency correction by
this amount. You say that the bass track is a little behind the drum track. You
could either move the bass track backwards or the drum track forwards, but in
practice it turns out that its easier to play around with moving the drum track
forward. If you're not familiar with the selection start and length/end
controls, it's probably worth reading about them first in the selection bar
section of the jaws guide. These are some steps to follow:
1. You want the drum track to be selected and the bass track to be unselected,
since you're going to be moving the drum track.
2. Press the home key to move the cursor to time zero.
3. Press ctrl+f6 to move to the selection bar.
4. tab to the end/length radio buttons, and set the length option. This is
because you're going to be moving the cursor around using the selection start
control. If it's set on length, then the selection length control remains zero
however the selection start control is changed. If it's set on selection end,
then if you decrease the selection start control, then the selection end
control remains unchanged, so selecting a time range, which you don't want to
do at the moment.
5. Tab to the selection start control. The format should be hh:mm:ss +
milliseconds. If it's not, then you can change it using its context menu.
6. Move to the tens of milliseconds digit. You can do this by pressing end to
move to the milliseconds digit, and then left arrow to move to the tens of
milliseconds digit. With the focus on this digit, you can increment the digit
by pressing up arrow, and decrement it by pressing down arrow.
7. Change the cursor position slightly. For an intial try, you could press up
arrow two times, so moving the cursor to 20 millliseconds.
8. Go to the Align tracks sub-menu on the Tracks menu, and choose
Align with Cursor. The drum track now starts at the cursor position, rather
than zero.
9. Press space to listen to the tracks to see if they sound ok, press space to
stop again.
10. If they're not together, then go back to step 7, and try a different cursor
position. Continue this loop till you find a value you're happy with.
11. Finally, update the latency correction in the preferences dialog. For
example, if you had to shift the drum track by 50 milliseconds, and the latency
correction in the dialog is -120 milliseconds, then it should by changed to
-170 milliseconds.

best wishes,