[audacity4blind] Re: sinchronizing tracks

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:48:21 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Steve,
the section in the jaws guide on latency gives a method for measuring the
latency correction if you're using a microphone. However, its not so easy to
use a similar method for your bass, as the duration of the plucked notes on the
bass will be quiet long, as opposed to the clicks picked up by the microphone
which are very short an so its much easier to hear when an individual click
starts.

In the case of your bass, it may be ok to find out a latency correction which
is good enough, just using trial and error. As the guide says, there's a
setting for the latency correction in the recording category of the preferences
dilaog. The number should be negative to bring the added track forward in time.
So if you say that the bass is a little behind the drum track, you could try
making the existing number more negative. So if the number was -100
milliseconds, you could try changing it to -120 milliseconds and see if that's
any better.

let us know how you get on,
David.