[audacity4blind] Re: selecting individual tracks

  • From: "David R. Sky" <davidsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:27:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi bob,

I had assumed that was what you meant - you have one full lp ripped
onto Audacity, and you want to save one or more individual tunes to
individual files.

In order to save one tune at a time, you first need to "select" one
tune at a time. It's kind of like selecting one chapter at a time
in a document so you can save the individual chapter. but instead
of selecting text, you are selecting audio.

So my question was, do you know how to select one tune out of your
ripped lp in Audacity?

Assuming you do know and have selected one tune you want to save,
open the file menu and click on one of the three "export selection
as..." options: .wav, .mp3 or .ogg vorbis. .wav has high fidelity
but creates the largest files. .ogg vorbis has high fidelity but at
the same time is compressed. .mp3 is also compressed but has a loss
in quality. .ogg vorbis and .mp3 can be set so you can save in
greater or lesser quality. If you want to save to .mp3, you first
need to install the Lame encoder, available from a link at
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ .

Back to making a selection. In Audacity 1.2.4, it's rather awkward
to select audio, especially for people who use a screen reader -
it's frustratingly easy to accidentally "break" the selection! At
which point the process needs to be started again. In 1.3.1beta,
it's a lot easier, but as i've said before, bugs are still being
worked out, and Audacity has crashed on me more than once.

I wrote a plug-in some time ago which can "extract" or "cut out" a
chunk of audio from a track. For instance, if your lp is thirty
minutes long and you want to extract the bit between twelve and
nineteen minutes into the lp, the plug-in will do that. After you
have saved that as a tune, you can "undo" the extraction and make
a brand-new chunk from your lp and save. Let me know if that might
help you.

I hope that's not too much information all at once. *grin*

David

You wrote:
When I rip a cassette or LP the several pieces are not recorded in
separate tracks. It seems to me the whole file is one track, even
though there may be a dozen pieces. I know I can put the needle
down on piece no. 4, for example, and stop rip at its end; and jump
to piece 7, and do the same. What I'm wondering is whether I can
just rip the whole side, and choose what I want from the file that
is in the computer. Hope this is a little clearer.

Bob

The audacity4blind website is at
http://users.northlc.com/sberry/