[audacity4blind] Re: selecting audio

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 17:10:15 +1100

Thanks Curtis. There is one area in particular where I would value feedback on the Scrubber script. I made a late decision to use single keys to control the Scrubber rather than keys in combination with a modifier key such as alt or control. I think this allows faster response times. On the other hand, I have forgotten on a few occasions to turn of scrubbing before doing tasks that require those keys. This results in temporary bewilderment when any of a number of bizarre things happen, followed by severe chastisement of me by me. If people find the current approach too risky, it is easy to use a modifier key.

Andrew

On 3/11/2015 6:13 AM, Curtis Delzer wrote:

Hey, I'll send this to my clients who don't wish to spend $200 for studio recorder which does "scrub" quite nicely and will definitely let you know.
Honestly, I appreciate this, have auto hotkey already installed, and will take a look at this.
You are quite talented at not only scripting, but communicating which are two pluses.

At 11:41 PM 11/1/2015, you wrote:
Hi Curtis

Audacity 2.1.1 introduced scrubbing, but it requires access to the mouse. On 2 September I sent a post to the list, describing a script I wrote to make scrubbing screen reader accessible. I have copied the contents of that post below. I haven't heard back from anyone saying it is dreadful, but nor has anyone said that they found it useful (smile). I do find it useful, but have inside knowledge as to its workings.

Text of my original post follows. If the whole concept isn't too daunting and you give it a go, feel free to get back to me with questions.

Andrew

Original scrubbing script post:
I am one of those people who have been pestering the Audacity people for years to introduce scrubbing. When reading the release notes for 2.1.1 my initial excitement turned to disappointment when I realised that a rodent is necessary to do the scrubbing.
I then turned my limited coding skills to writing a script to provide scrubbing from the keyboard. All are welcome to try it and to provide feedback. There are issues though. Unlike screen readers, that don't actually read the screen, the script does. The screen resolution you have set will determine whether it will find what it is looking for. I am more than happy to provide what help I can if it doesn't work for you, but can't promise to be successful.
The script is written in the AutoHotKey scripting language for Windows (sorry Mac users). To use the script you either have to install AutoHotKey or run the executable version of the script (see below) .
If you are interested in trying the script, make a note of the following link:
https://www.sendspace.com/folder/xusytz <https://www.sendspace.com/folder/xusytz>
That will take you to a page where you https://www.sendspace.com/folder/xusytz <https://www.sendspace.com/folder/xusytz>can download all or any of the following files:
audacity-win-2.1.1.exe - just in case you don't have the latest version of Audacity
AutoHotkey112204_Install.exe - If you choose to install AutoHotKey
scrub-manual.htm - the manual for Scrubber
scrub.ahk - the Scrubber script
scrub.exe - an executable version of the script if you don't want to install AutoHotKey
Get back to me with questions or suggestions.

Andrew

On 2/11/2015 7:23 AM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
Andrew you've done a great job.
I wonder if Audacity provides, as studio recorder does, a facility to "scrub" the area of play back so you can audibly hear where you are and thereby go to an exact place by sound to highlight and then delete.