[audacity4blind] Re: questions about using audacity

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 22:42:33 GMT

| From Mike Bernard <mbern6516@xxxxxxx>
| Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:28:43 -0500 (EST)
| Subject: [audacity4blind] questions about using audacity
> I've been playing around with Audacity this week, just to get a feel
> for how it works and I have a few questions:
> 1. Once you've recorded separate multiple files in Audacity, how do you
> splice them together, so that they'll play one after the other in
> numeric order as one long file?

Is this in Audacity or on a CD you are intending to burn from those
recordings?

You can join the tracks in Audacity thus, as you would for imported
files:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_editing.html#join .

If you want separate recordings on the same track, press P to
pause after the first recording and P again to restart recording.

> 2. Is it possible to edit mp3 files?

You can import MP3 files but they are decompressed to lossless
PCM and so if you export them as MP3, they are re-encoded and
you lose quality. This link refers:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Lame_Installation#lossy .

If you do export MP3 from Audacity you have to install the LAME
MP3 encoder:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#lame .

> 3. When you start a recording in Windows Sound Recorder, it will
> automatically stop recording after about a minute's worth of time has
> past. However, when making a recording in Audacity, how much recording
> time do you get?

As long as your disk space supports, but with a limit of 13.5 hours
at 44100 Hz (less time available at higher sample rates) if you
want to save these recordings as projects. Please read:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recording_length .

> 4. Is it technically possible, to set Audacity, so that it will record
> in mp3 format?

No. To record in MP3 you would want one of the direct MP3 editors
mentioned on:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Lame_Installation#lossy .

Thanks,

Gale