[audacity4blind] Re: question about deleting part of a track, still learning!

  • From: "Kimsan" <kimsansong@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:07:54 -0800

Jean:
That was an excellent explination.
Thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:18 PM
To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: question about deleting part of a track, still
learning!

Remove vocals removes, almost completely, a vocal that is exactly in the
middle.  The farther to the left or right of center a vocal is, the less of
it will be removed.  If a vocal is at the left most or right most positions,
none of it will be removed.  If there is an echo or reverb effect that
causes echo or reverb of the vocal to be placed to the left or right of
center, that audio will not be fully removed and, again, if it is fully to
the left or right, the part of the echo or reverb that is in those positions
will not be removed at all.

Also, any instruments that are in the center will also be removed and
instruments that are closer to the center will be somewhat cut down in
volume.  Again, instruments that are at the far left and far right will not
be effected at all.  The vocal remover has no idea what it is removing.  To
put the mattter in technical terms, it places one track out of phase with
the other and then turns the result into monaural audio.
This results in any audio at the center being almost completely removed, no
matter what it is.  the farther to the left or right of center you go, the
less the volume will be reduced.  In other words, the less audio will be
removed.
I'll let others describe what phase is if they wish to do so.

Gene