[audacity4blind] Re: problems using the amplify feature

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:29:29 +0100

| From "John W. Hess" <wysiwygtechnologies@xxxxxxxxx>
| Sat, 30 Aug 2008 08:18:22 -0400
| Subject: problems using the amplify feature
> Gale, I really goofed there. What I meant is After I select the
> portion of the track and go to the dialog and make the appropriate
> gain adjustment the okay button is grade out and not pressable it says
> okay dimmed.  I don't think this is a voiceover issue.  I would think
> if I selected info and made a change the button should not be dimmed.

Hi John

I think I have already covered this, but perhaps not made it explicit
enough. You cannot apply (in your example) a 3 dB gain in the
first "Amplification (dB)" box, if the audio is already louder than
-3 dB, because to do so would cause clipping. If you enter a value
in "Amplification (dB)" that would cause clipping, the OK button is
greyed out, and the only way to enable it is to check the "Allow
Clipping" box.

But really, as the "Amplification (dB)" box already shows the maximum
amount you can amplify without clipping, if you want to make the audio
as loud as possible all you need to do is accept that value and just hit
"ENTER" as soon as the Amplify dialogue appears. That will automatically
make the track as loud as can be without clipping.

Gale