[audacity4blind] Re: problems using the amplify feature

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 02:11:18 +0100

| From John W.Hess <wysiwygtechnologies@xxxxxxxxx>
| Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:56:48 -0400
| Subject: [audacity4blind] problems using the amplify feature
> Has anyone seen the following problem?  I want to amplify a particular
> porsion of a track and select it and then go to the effects menu and
> amplify dialog. I see that there are two fields. ONe to set the gain
> and one to set the max gain I guess.  When I change the gain say from
> 0 to plus 3 and try to click okay it's muted. I am using a mac with
> voiceover.  This is the only effect I have had this happen with. I
> know the track is selected because if I try to apply something else it
> works fine. Any one else seeing this? Thanks.

We can't support Voiceover properly as the GUI toolkit we use (wxWidgets)
does not do so. So, the Amplify labels may not be read out.

The first box is "Amplification (dB)". It shows the maximum amount you
can amplify by without clipping. The next text field is "New Peak Amplitude
(dB)". The two fields are interdependent. You cannot enter a value in either
field that will cause clipping (that is, that will cause the "New Peak
Amplitude"
value to exceed 0.0), unless you put a check mark in the field called
"Allow Clipping". This field comes straight after "New Peak Amplitude".

To put a check mark in "Allow Clipping",  tab to it, then press spacebar.

Gale

The audacity4blind website is at
http://users.northlc.com/sberry/