[audacity4blind] Re: need help with editting a track

  • From: Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:01:43 -0600

Hi Dacia,

There is no single keystroke in Audacity itself. David's manual will answer most if not all of your questions. If you press CTRL+F6 you will move to the selection bar where you can tab to controls containing the time for the start and end of the selection and the position where you are playing or recording. (On my desktop machine I changed this key to F6. My laptop requires pressing the FN key for function keys, so I use PGDN for this function (and PGUP for CTRL+Shift+F6).) The JAWS script for Audacity provides keystrokes to speak these. You can get the script at http://dangmanhcuong.googlecode.com/files/Jaws%20Script%20for%20Audacity%20V2.0.exe. <http://dangmanhcuong.googlecode.com/files/Jaws%20Script%20for%20Audacity%20V2.0.exe>

The announcement for the release of v2.0 of the script is attached.

Hope this helps.

Gary

On 9/9/2015 7:03 AM, dacia.luck@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

What I mean is, is there a keystroke that the program you can tell me exactly
what time segment I am at in the file? I don't know if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 9, 2015, at 7:54 AM, Vitor Ferreira <vitorflash@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

the command to export a file is control plus shift plus e.
Best regards.

Às 13:40 de 09/09/2015, dacia.luck@xxxxxxxxx escreveu:
OK, how do I export the file

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 9, 2015, at 4:52 AM, Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Much more concise than I was going to write. Keep in mind that if you have
opened an mp3 file in Audacity you are no longer working with the original;
you now have an Audacity project. To send the abridged mp3 file to someone,
you will have to export to mp3 from the File Menu.

Andrew

On 9/09/2015 6:59 PM, Vitor Ferreira wrote:
Hi.

1: Select the track with the enter key.

2: Start playing the file, and while doing that, move the cursor forward with
shift and period, and backwords with shift coma.

3: When you reach the point you want, position the cursor there with shift a.

4: Press shift j to select from cursor to beginning of the file, or shift k to
select from cursor to the end of the file and press delet to erase the part you
don't want.

5: Save the result.
Hope that helps.

Vitor Ferreira

Às 02:09 de 09/09/2015, Dacia Cole escreveu:
Hi,

I'm new to Audacity. I have a file and want to cut a part of a
recorded file and send only that portion to someone. Can someone
please give me keyboard commands on how to do this? I have JAWS 16
and am using a windows 8.1 laptop. The file is an mp3 file.

thanks,

Dacia

Vitor Ferreira

09/21/13 Announcement of Audacity scripts 2.0

Dang Manh Cuong and I are pleased to announce the release of v2.0 of the JAWS
scripts for Audacity. This software was developed with JAWS 10.0 and 13.0 on a
desktop 2.8GHz Pentium D machine with 1.49GB RAM running Windows XP SP3, and
JAWS 13 on a laptop running Windows 7.

We are still interested in feedback about the verbosity of the messages. I
would like to know if experienced users find particular messages annoying. I
would also like to hear from beginning users about what messages you find are
helpful and if any are not.

As I said before, we had a lot of problems with the code that detects the
program state (playing, stopped, paused, or recording) on Cuong's laptop. We
think it's fixed, but if you find that messages are being spoken when Audacity
is playing that you think should only speak when stopped, try pressing
JAWSKey+numpadDEL and verify that the correct status is spoken. If you do find
a problem with this, please send us your machine configuration and symptoms and
I may send you a debug version of the script to test if you would be willing to
help.

You can download the package from
http://dangmanhcuong.googlecode.com/files/Jaws%20Script%20for%20Audacity%20V2.0.exe.
The What's New file is at
https://dangmanhcuong.googlecode.com/files/What%27s%20new.txt and is attached
below. Please let us know of any suggestions.

To install:
Place the installer in a folder on your machine.
Run it to install the files. It also allows you to choose which JAWS versions
to install into and whether to install for the current user or all users. If
you choose the full install type, you will be able to remove it via Add or
Remove Programs, and it will make a folder in your Program Files folder to
store the uninstaller. If you choose the Just Scripts install type, it will
not be removable from Add or Remove Programs, and it will not create a folder
in your Program Files folder or any registry entries.
If you choose the Just Scripts install type, the README and What's New files
will be installed in the JAWS scripts folder for each version, and What's
new.txt will be called audacity_whatsnew.txt.
The installer will compile the script package in each JAWS version.
If you want to modify the installer, or are just curious how it works, you can
install the installer source by selecting the Custom install type and choosing
the Install Installer source component.

If the installer detects a full install of the scripts, it offers to uninstall
it. If it detects script files for Audacity, it warns that it will overwrite
them.

Here are the changes since v2.0RC:

Below is the description of the changes between version 1.2 and 2.0RC of the
scripts.

. Adjust JAWS Options (JAWSKey+v) now contains a section for Audacity options.
It currently contains two options: Announce Messages, which duplicates the
CTRL+` key, and Announce Toolbars, which controls the announcement of the
toolbar name when focus moves from one toolbar to another. There is support
for the older AdjustJawsVerbosity script, but it has not been tested.
. Added JAWSKey+v to the jkm file so that options will appear on JAWS 13, which
has a new options facility.
. Fixed speaking of position fields. Previously, .012s was spoken as 12s. Now
speaks time fields containing two zeros as one 0, so 01h00m00.015s is spoken as
1h0m0.015s. This is not yet done for formats such as ##h##m##s+##frames. The
"days" format is now supported. The code for this function has been rewritten
to use more message constants, so it hopefully will be localizable.
. The extension of the Audacity script settings file has changed from .Ini to
.jsi to conform to the JAWS scripting convention. You can rename your existing
audacity.Ini file to audacity.jsi and it should work.
. In the settings file changed key announce to announceMessage. Script
ResetConfig now deletes the old (announce) key if it exists.
. JAWS no longer says "track table" when moving between tracks.
. JAWS speaks main window areas: Toolbars, Track Panel, and Selection Bar, as
focus moves between them.
. JAWS speaks the toolbar name when focus moves from one toolbar to another.
. When focus is in the toolbars pressing CTRL+TAB and Shift+CTRL+TAB move to
the first control on the next toolbar and the last control on the previous
toolbar, respectively.
. JAWSKey+Delete speaks the current program state: stop, play, play pause,
record, or record pause.
. left/right arrow keys Speak cursor position when Audacity is stopped.
. Keystrokes that extend or contract the selection speak the new position when
Focus is in the track panel.
. Functions that use values from the selection bar now speak a message or
silently omit the action requiring the value if the selection bar is not
enabled.
. Track gain and pan controls now only function when the PC cursor is active.
Otherwise they execute their default mouse movement functions.
. HandleCustomWindows now calls HandleCustomWindows so that this function in
scripts "use"d by this script will be executed.
. In many VST plug-ins, keystrokes move focus to the Presets control and
activate Save/Load Presets. Hotkey help is available for these keys in these
dialogs.
. In many plug-in dialogs control names and values are now spoken. Use
JAWSKey+TAB to repeat the current control name/value.
. Added script SayJump and key assignments that bind it to comma, period,
Shift+comma, and Shift+period.
. Added SelectAll announcement.
. JAWS now indicates when no project is open (no tracks in track panel) for
many operations.
. JAWS now speaks an alert message when performing an operation which requires
that the current track be selected but it is not. Added this funtionality to
the folowing scripts: JAWSDelete, DeleteSelectedAudio,
MoveToStartOfSelectedTracks, SelectToBeginning, SelectToEnd, copy, and cut.
. Scripts CloseFocusTrack, DeleteSelectedAudio, JAWSHome, JAWSEnd, Copy, and
Cut speak an error message indicating that they are not valid when Audacity is
not stopped.
. The CTRL+JAWSKey+v keystroke now performs its default function, and then
speaks the current Audacity script version. When pressed twice quickly, it
displays this information in the virtual viewer.
. The following now pass keys to the app when in a dialog or menu: scripts
MoveToStartOfSelectedTracks, MoveToEndOfSelectedTracks, SelectToBeginning,
SelectToEnd, SaySelectionStart, SaySelectionEnd, SayAudacityState,
DeleteSelectedAudio, JAWSDelete, and Copy, and Functions SaySelectionPosition,
and SayNoTrackSelected.
. Changed the conditions for not executing the default script in
Start/FinishMarkerLeft/Right and made them perform their default scripts
instead of silently sending their keys through.
. [ and ] can now be used in file name dialogs.
. Function AnnounceMessage now returns in open dialogs.
. JAWS now correctly speaks controls in the warning dialog shown when importing
uncompressed Audio files. This is done by new function IsWarningDialog and
changes to function HandleCustomWindows and script SayLine. Removed old
implementation in script AudacitySayFrame because it works on Cuong's PC only.
. In the Edit Chains dialog F6 toggles between the Chains and Chain list views.
If the focus is not on the Chains list view, the key moves focus to the Chains
list view.
. In SayLine added tests for IsPCCursor and not UserBufferIsActive.
. When playing and recording, the ENTER key executes pause. (It sends ENTER
when stopped and "p" when playing or recording.) I like this because the
numpad ENTER key is easier to find than "p" if your hands are off the keyboard.
Try it out and let us know if you like it.

Issues:
. We have had problems getting the state of Play, Pause, Record, and Stop on
some configurations. In function GetAudacityState there is commented out code
to determine the pressed state of toolbar buttons by testing the button graphic
name. There are also CS_IMG constants for the pressed state of the Play,
Pause, and Record buttons that must be uncommented as well. If the current
code doesn't work for you, this might work. This code needs further work, so
if you need this code please let us know.
. The position fields sometimes are not shortened. This happens because the
JAWS GetWindowText function returns just the numbers with no h, m, :, etc. We
do not know what causes this. I have been able to correct this by shutting
down and restarting Audacity-- or JAWS, I can't find my notes on this. This
was observed with JAWS 10.
. A side effect of ENTER pausing during record and play is that you can't
select/unselect tracks while playing or recording. Also, if you redefine the
numpad ENTER key and set JAWS to treat extended keys separately, both ENTER
keys will be mapped to the typing keys ENTER. If you don't like this feature
you can deactivate it by adding a semicolon on the lines for ENTER and
NumPadEnter in audacity.jkm and removing semicolons on the lines containing /*
and */ before and after script Enter in audacity.jss.