[audacity4blind] Re: maybe off topic but relevant? Re: monitoring your projects using USB interface

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 03:17:59 -0500

I know almost nothing about the topic and the tiny bit I know I learned by
doing a Google search or two.  I would ordinarily not comment on this
topic but since you receive so little response, I will.

I have not seen the term no latency used when such drivers are discussed.
I have only seen the term low latency used.  That implies that, whatever
you do with these drivers, there will be a delay, even if it is a very
small one. Since these drivers are specifically intended to reduce
latency, it would appear likely that it cannot be eliminated when using a
USB microphone.  I have no idea if the latency you get with the drivers
would be enough to bother you or cause problems when you listen while
recording. You can experiment and find out.

If it is not satisfactory, you can use a microphone that is not a USB
microphone and set your sound card to play the audio from that microphone.
 There should be no latency if you do so or no audible latency.

Since I know almost nothing about this subject, I may be wrong and you may
find that you can get such low latency that it won't matter.  but what
I've written here may lead to more comments from others that may be
useful.

Gene