[audacity4blind] Re: looking for audo tune plugin

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 15:13:31 +0100 (BST)

Hi Cuong,
I've had a quick look at the gsnap plugin, and it seems to work.
A quick way to hear it in action is to generate a chirp, and then apply the
effect.
1. open the chirp generator on the generate menu.
2. Set the start and end frequencies to 440 and 660 hz.
3. set the start and end amplitudes to 0.5.
4. set the duration to 4 seconds.
Then make sure that on the playback page of preferences, the length of preview
is set to at least 4 seconds.
The generated audio is selected by default, so you can just open the gsnap
effect.
Then trying setting the preset to subtle, and pressing the preview button. Then
try with the preset set to not so.
In both cases the continuous tone has been changed into steps.
Many of the settings can only be reached using the Jaws cursor. Important ones
are:
1. Select scale. if you press the left mouse button, then a dialog opens to set
the key. With the above chirp example it's easy to hear the difference between
major an minor keys.
2. Don't click the midi mode button, as midi isn't available.
3. If you moving the jaws cursor word by word, you'll find that the controls
with edit boxes are grouped into fours. You'll go through four names of
controls, followed by the four edit boxes for these controls. Click on the
number in an edit box to edit it.

Saving and loading presets. I've had a quick look at this. It doesn't seem to
work completely correctly - the min freq doesn't seem to get loaded in again.

David.