[audacity4blind] Re: high shelf filter

  • From: Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 02:47:43 +0200

Hi Gary

I've been a little busy lately, so the plug-in couldn't be finished
(at least not for all platforms).
I'm just wondering if I should take the way over the equalizer effect.
The filter could as well be directly implemented as a stand-alone
effect plug-in. This allows more freedom in the choice of the
parameters.

I use sometimes your described way using the plot spectrum to compare audio.
The equalizer is unfortunately only accessible in the graphic mode.
This gives some constraints on what one can do. Firstly, the sliders
go only from 20 to -20 dB. Secondly, the center frequency of the
sliders is fixed and they are exactly 1/3 octave apart.
(detailed audiograms are similarly spaced, I think)
The plot spectrum export is on the other hand linearly, i.e. a
512-size spectrum at 51.2 kHz (for simplicity sake) gives the dB
values for 100, 200, 300, ... 25600 Hz.
This means that you have to add up some frequencies and average them
to get the value for the specific 1/3 octave point.
For instance, I have a template sheet where I import the spectrum
values.  The comparison is either another voice spectrum or a general
one where the dB values are calculated from 1/frequency (e.g. 1/500
hz-->-54 dB, 1/1000--> -60 dB, thus 6 dB roll-off per octave).
Another columns holds the interpolated values to use in the equalizer.
This procedure is only intended to roughly adapt the overall speech
quality (clarity, brightness, boominess etc.) and not to exactly copy
another voice.

As you've already mentioned, this involves treating each phonem
separately and analysing the formants.
By no means a trivial task but even possible with Nyquist and Audacity.

Regards
Robert