[audacity4blind] Re: getting and Error.

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:36:43 +0100

| From "jim gamage" <james.gamage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:58:56 +0100
| Subject: getting and Error.
> I have now done some more experimenting and am now convinced that it is my
> Soundblaster card that the new Audacity doesn't like. Plugging in and
> configuring the realtek card has no problem, I can use the new version of
> Audacity without altering any settings in devices by using the realtek card.
> I can still use my Soundblaster by going into Devices and pressing OK.
> If I load Audacity with my Soundblaster as the default device, I get a
> reduced volume and a fairly quiet tone in the background, I would describe
> the latter as a sine wave at about middle C, [I am not a musician, so
> forgive me if this is not quite correct.
> If I load Audacity and then set the loop option, press OK on this, the audio
> doesn't change, in other words it's still low and with the tone in the
> background, closing Audacity and re loading it leaves the tone etc, but
> going back to MME sorts it.
> If I load Audacity and stop the problem by just using MME and pressing OK,
> the audio increases in volume and the tone disappears, if I then set the
> loop option the  audio remains normal.
> I hope someone more technical than me can make some sense of that, but it
> seems that my Soundblaster is the culprit.

Jim,

2.0.4 has support for new "hosts" called "Windows WDM-KS"
and "Windows WASAPI".

Hosts are different software interfaces for your sound devices.

"KS" is short for Kernel Streaming. You can record with very
little latency using this host if you reduce "Audio to buffer" in
the Audacity Recording Preferences (as long as you don't
reduce the buffer too low). 20 ms buffer should work fine.

When you start Audacity or press OK in Preferences, Audacity
interacts with all the devices it recognises and with all the audio
hosts (MME, Windows DirectSound, Windows WDM-KS and
Windows WASAPI). So you may hear a click in the speakers
at that point.

If you did not hear that click in 2.0.3, then and it may be that
WDM-KS or WASAPI are the cause.

Both new hosts are somewhat experimental. If selecting MME
solves the SoundBlaster tone and volume-changing problems,
I suggest exiting Audacity with MME selected, then MME will
be selected for you next time you start Audacity.

The alternatives would be to update your SoundBlaster to the
driver I indicated (assuming it does not already have that
driver), or just wait to see if PortAudio changes in future
Audacity versions improve the situation.

If you are happy using MME then probably you can just leave
things as they are.

Gale