[audacity4blind] Re: coping with altered audio output

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 08:22:10 +0100 (BST)

Hi Justin,
direct sound isn't the same as wasapi. If the latter isn't available, this
probably means you're using an old version of Audacity. If you install the
current version, 2.0.5, you should be able to use it.

David.

On Thursday, 17 April 2014, 4:42, Justin Trevino <jtrevino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

David,
I don't have a wasapi host option.
I have mme or windows direct sound.
If I select windows direct sound and select primary sound capture
    driver as the recording device I get the same noise cancellation
    effect as if I were using stereo mix.
Is windows direct sound the same as wasapi?

On 4/16/2014 12:14 PM, David Bailes wrote:

>Hi Justin,
>have you tried using the wasapi host interface in audacity which allows you to
>record using a loopback version of a playback device:
>On the devices page of preferences:
>1. change the interface host to window wasapi.
>2. For the recording device, select one of the loopback versions of the
>playback devices.
>

>David.
>
>On Wednesday, 16 April 2014, 17:57, Justin Trevino
>mailto:jtrevino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>I've had a sighted friend helping me try to defeat beats audio.
>We've managed to turn off everything but the noise
                cancellation.
>I can make an analog loop and record from the speakers
                out to the line
>in, and that works properly.
>It's when I try to use stereo mix that I hear the noise
                filtering.
>I know this is an audacity forum, But I was hoping that
                someone besides
>me had tried sound leech.
>It still seems like a good way to capture the original
                audio if I can
>figure out how to navigate it.
>On 4/16/2014 9:04 AM, Gene wrote:
>> Your sound card probably has some sort of sound
                manager with different
>> effects available.  I have no idea if it is
                accessible.  Either you or a
>> sighted person can probably turn off whatever
                effect you are hearing.

>> Do you see anything relevant in the System Tray?
                My Realtek software
>> places an item named sound effect in the system
                tray.

>> Gene

                audio output
>>> Hi!
>>> I would like to extend Justin's issue to
                altered audio output in general.
>>> too experience this problem on my Sony VAIO
                with Windows 8. Audio coming
>>> through the speakers and headphones sounds as
                if minimal reverb has been
>>> added. I say minimal, but of course it is
                blatantly obvious when streaming
>>> radio stations, playing my music or just
                listening to JAWS. Everything
>>> sounds like a Sun Records production. I don't
                know what is doing it, but
>>> it
>>> gets on my nerves big time. I can't believe a
                manufacturer would dictate
>>> which sound I should hear my favorite music in.
                I'm using an external
>>> sound
>>> card for all media output, but when recording
                with Audacity I get the
>>> slap-back sound dictated by the system. I would
                be extremely grateful if
>>> anyone could let me know if and how this can be
                corrected.

>>> Thanks and please excuse the rant.
>>> Robbie

                p c, and I can't access
>>> the
>>> menu that would allow me to record with it.
>>> I have always used audacity to record streaming
                audio in the past.
>>> However, my new computer has beats audio on
                board, and I can't seem to get
>>> an accurate reproduction using stereo mix.
>>> Has anyone else tried soundleech and been
                successful?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Justin Trevino
>>>
>>> The audacity4blind web site is at
>>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
>>>
>>> Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message
                archives, Audacity keyboard
>>> commands, and more...
>>>
>>> To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an
                email to
>>> audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> with subject line
>>> unsubscribe
>>>

>>> The audacity4blind web site is at
>>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
>>>
>>> Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message
                archives,
>>> Audacity keyboard commands, and more...
>>>
>>> To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an
                email to
>>> audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> with subject line
>>> unsubscribe
>>>

>> The audacity4blind web site is at
>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
>>
>> Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message
                archives,
>> Audacity keyboard commands, and more...
>>
>> To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email
>> audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> with subject line
>> unsubscribe
>>

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.
                Release Date: 04/16/14

>The audacity4blind web site is at
>//www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
>
>Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message
                  archives,
>Audacity keyboard commands, and more...
>
>To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
>audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>with subject line
>unsubscribe
>

>No virus found in this message.