[audacity4blind] Re: converting old cassette tapes

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:04:54 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Josh,
concerning changing the speed.
There are a couple of options:
1. The change speed effect, see:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/change_speed.html2. The sliding time
scale/shift pitch effect:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/sliding_time_scale_pitch_shift.htmlYou
don't actually want to vary the speed change, so you would enter the same
values for the initial and final tempo changes. This second effect is much
higher quality than the first effect, though it takes more processing time.

David.

On Monday, 12 January 2015, 17:24, Josh k <joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi
I got a newer USB tape player on amazon. it has a 5 out of 5 rating and
great customer reviews and great stereo souns, automatic side switching
for the tapes. my questions are these. I am new to autdacity first of
all and I use NVDA screen reader. so 1. some tapes were recorded with a
4-track tape recorder, how do I separate each stereo channel and make it
its own mp3? some tapes like the old 2xl robot tape have two different
things going on, like if you listen to it in your left ear you may hear
a story while in your right ear you'll hear a voice asking questions and
telling you to hit buttons on the robot toy. I want to separate each
left and right channel into its own mp3. 2. some tapes are sped up. How
do I slow them back down to normal speed? 3. and if it won't ruin
quality and take too much time can I apply filters or get some tape hiss
removal filters for audacity?
thanks

--
follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982 or facebook email joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx