[audacity4blind] Re: audacity4blind Digest V10 #857

  • From: Matt Turner <meturner2214@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, audacity4blind digest users <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 14:55:58 -0400

That's kind of odd, that when clicking on the play button it works with jaws.
But in firefox with NVDA, i can hit inter, or space, or do a left click on the play button and nothing happens. the timer moves, but then gets stuck.
On 10/28/2015 2:45 PM, Audacity4blind-Digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

You are recieving the audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx digest. If you would like
to contact a moderator please email:
audacity4blind-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx------------------------------------
audacity4blind Digest Wed, 28 Oct 2015 Volume: 10 Issue: 857

In This Issue:
[audacity4blind] Re: how to identify the length of the whole

Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: how to identify the length of the whole
From: Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:45:40 -0600

Hi Mr. Wong (Wai?),

1. Since I don't use the F6 key-- I don't remember what it is by
default-- on my desktop machine I go into the Preferences > Keyboard
section and reverse the assignments of F6 and CTRL+f6, also their Shift
counterparts, because I can hit F6 with one hand. On my laptop I have
to hold down a key to access the function keys, so I assign them to PGDN
and PGUP, respectively.

2. I use the Thunderbird e-mail program in threaded mode to read the
list. That presents the messages in a tree with related messages
grouped together. Unlike Outlook 2003 (which determines a thread by the
subject), Thunderbird seems to group them via the mail headers included
for that purpose. The result is that when you reply to a message,
Thunderbird displays it as a child of the message you replied to even
though you have changed the subject. Since using the In-reply-to and
References headers is the traditional way to thread messages, I would
think that other mail programs may do the same. So if you are starting
a new topic, it is better to open a new message rather than replying to
an existing message. Of course, I understand that it's a lot easier to
just reply and change the subject than find the list address :-), but I
only saw your message because I happened to read the thread you replied
to. Just thought you (and others) would like to know.

Gary

On 9/16/2015 12:20 AM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai wrote:
Ohthanks. Before I try tapping only f6 and not responce. Haha need to
use the combination key, thanks.
fAndrew Downie 於 15/9/2015 16:22 寫�:
Ah, you have two options as follows:

Firstly, in case you haven't discovered this, a bit of background to
the Audacity layout (apologies if you already know this). There are
three panes or sections. The track section is in the middle. Press
control-f6 to move to the bottom area. Among other items, it shows
the beginning and end of the highlighted section - tab through the
various items. When you first press control-f6 you will get to two
radio buttons. You can choose to show either the length of the
highlighted section or the point in time where the highlight ends.
That becomes clearer once you play with it.
Let's get the length of the track first. While on the track view,
press k to go to the end of the track. Press control-f6 to get to
the lower pane. Because nothing will be highlighted, the first value
will give you the length of the track.
If you have a section highlighted, the first value will show the
point where highlighting begins and the second will show either the
length of the highlight or the end point, depending on your choice
with those radio buttons.
There is another option if you don't want to go to that lower pane.
When the track is not playing, press [ (left bracket) to get the
beginning of the highlight and ] (right bracket) to read the end
point. You can adjust the highlight from there as well, in very tiny
increments if you choose. By pressing the application key when
reading those positions you can set how you want the time formatted.
I choose hours, minutes, seconds and milliseconds, which allows for
very fine adjustment.
And in case you have not discovered it yet: Pressing the left
bracket when the track is playing will jump the cursor to that point
and continue playing. Similarly, pressing the right bracket will set
the end of the highlight.

I should have mentioned too that pressing shift-control-f6 takes you
through the panes in the opposite direction.

Andrew

On 15/09/2015 10:52 AM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai wrote:
Hi,
I am not sure how to know the whole length of the track or how to
read the length of the selected portion of the track.
Thanks.

End of audacity4blind Digest V10 #857