[audacity4blind] Re: asio question

  • From: "David Engebretson Jr." <d.engebretson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 14:50:20 -0800

A sighted friend of mine and I ran through the steps given, and the information on the wiki, trying to compile our own version of Audacity so that we could use Asio4All.

As a preface to my conclusion I'll say that we are both electronics engineers by trade. My sighted friend works for a company that holds the internet together around the world. Neither of us are highly skilled at programming but we've both dealt with Visual Studio and have even designed our own operating systems. By no means do we expect our credentials to give us the power to compile our own version of Audacity without some real headache and frustration during the learning curve. Frustration and headache are part of the joy of engineering. We experienced the frustration. We expended a lot of energy trying to compile ASIO into Audacity. We had a few headaches. We were never able to successfully compile.

That being said, my conclusion is that, unless you have the direct help of someone who is intimately involved in compiling Audacity, you will hit a frustration wall and either move to a DAW that you purchase and already has ASIO built in (Reaper is good, and has a great license), or you'll use other techniques with Audacity to avoid the latency issue of many sound IO devices.

What I do is have a USB mixer with two output devices connected. One output plays the recorded track/tracks, and the other output plays the track I'm recording. Generally those tracks have near 0 latency after all of the tracks are recorded and each track has it's own instrument on it.

I'm running another machine with a Delta 1010 - a 10 channel input device. It's super sweet. I can record multiple stereo mixers at once. It keeps everything divided into individual tracks. It's got near 0 latency even when I've got the device playing through the same output device. It's older technology but works well and sounds A-Mazing.

The settings I use for this are under Transport:
* Overdub ON
* Software Playthrough OFF

I hope this helps you. I'd really like it if the Audacity team could work out a method to provide preconfigured build environments. This would help folks with enough technical knowledge to be dangerous a chance to be audacious in the DAW world.

Peace,
David