[audacity4blind] Re: Volume

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 21:47:45 GMT

| From "Robbie" <tickleberryfun@xxxxxxxxx>
| Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:10:01 +0100
| Subject: [audacity4blind] Volume
> I'm having trouble understanding how Audacity handles volume. I imported
> several tracks into a project. Some were quite loud, though without
> causing any audible clipping. I used ReplayGain on the individual tracks,
> making the quiet ones a little louder and the loud ones quieter. Next I
> meant to use Amplify on the hole project to achieve the highest possible
> volume. The Amplification dB field contained a negative value. This would
> make the project even quieter. I don't understand how a project which
> didn't clip to begin with and that is now definitely quieter than before
> is found to exceed 0 dB. Perhaps someone can help me understand

Hi Robbie,

Yes if "Amplification (dB)" is negative, the selected audio is above
the clipping level of 0 dB.

Audacity does not include Replay Gain, so are you using some plug-in
that performs Replay Gain? If so, which one?

Do you know the individual tracks were not above 0 dB before or
after Replay Gain (did you check each one in Amplify)?

Amplify works on peak level. It only needs a single sample to be
above 0 dB for Amplify to show that the whole project needs to be
negatively amplified to be at a peak of 0 dB. That single sample or
few samples may not be audible.

You can use Analyze > Find Clipping to label each clipped region.
Set "Start Threshold" and "Stop Threshold" to 1 to ensure every
single clipped sample is found.

I don't think the labels will be read out but you can do File >
Export Labels... and read the exported text file to find where the
clipping is.

Gale