[audacity4blind] Re: Using the clipboard to mix packages

  • From: Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 21:43:27 +0100

There are several approaches that you can take. Whatever works for you is
the best approach.
There is nothing wrong with the way that you are doing it now, other than
it is a little arduous. I've used that approach myself when working on very
large complex projects and find it a good way to keep organised in complex
projects.

Copy and pasting between different projects as Robbie suggested is another
method, though you need to be very careful if you are using multiple WAV,
AIFF or FLAC audio files. If you use that method, go to "Edit > Preferences
> Import/Export" and set "When importing audio files" to "Make a copy of
uncompressed audio files before editing (safer)".

The method that I generally prefer is to do it all in one project but with
multiple tracks. As a simple example, if you want the start and the end
sections from a longer track, select the start section and duplicate it to
a new track, then create another new track (Tracks menu) and copy and paste
the end section from the original track to this third track. Then mute the
first (original) track. Muted tracks do not play and are not included in
the exported files, but still exist in the Audacity project, so you can
copy and paste additional sections as required.In effect, you are using the
original track as one giant clipboard, which you can mute when not needed.

Steve