[audacity4blind] Using midi in Audacity

  • From: "Heiko Folkerts" <heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 22:09:15 +0100

Hi all,
I'd like to know how far audacity can support MIDI and whether this is
accessible to us screen reader users.

Background: In lack of a drum computer I can use without frustration I
managed to get some drum tracks in MIDI format. I also have some free sound
fonts that make those tracks sound more or less natural. Ofcourse nothing
professional, but since I am only making music for fun this is no problem.
Currently I am rendering the midi files using the tool midirenderer.

To edit MIDI files I only know the way of translating them to ABC notation
and editing the notes there and convert them back to MIDI. Is there a usable
multi voice editor for midi files accessible to screen readers? I heard of
Windows MIDI sequencer but didn't find out how to really use it.

I could create multiple MIDI tracks with only one instrument and join them
using audacity but this sounds quite wrong to me - is there a better way to
go?

Sorry for this partly off topic but maybe audacity can help more than I
think. The MIDI explanation for Audacity I found refers to 2008 and I hope
that there has been more progress in this.

Thanks in advance

Heiko