[audacity4blind] Re: Test script for Silence Preview

  • From: Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 15:23:14 -0600

Hi,

If you're using this version of the script, there's a bug that can be quite annoying. Symptoms: the OK button in any dialog doesn't speak, and a lot of things aren't spoken. I was using the WindowDestroyed event to detect that the preview was over. For some reason, this event is never triggered for the Stop button, so the flag that caused the speaking of the focus to be suppressed was never cleared. I think I have a fix for this but will have to test it more-- and find time to put it into a releasable version of the scripts.

Gary

On 11/27/2014 6:24 PM, Gary Campbell wrote:
Hi,

Attached is a test version of the JAWS Scripts for Audacity that implements silencing of speech during preview.

The way I'm handling silencing the preview button seems a bit risky to me. I have observed that when the Preview button is activated the dialog is destroyed, focus moves to the Audacity main window, and a dialog for handling the preview is created. In order to detect when the Preview button is activated, I watch for the focus to move to the main window. JAWS DialogActive() function returns false, so I can't even restrict this test to a dialog. When I detect this condition I set some flags that suppress speech during focus changes. I think the next thing that happens is that focus moves to the Stop button. I remember this window handle and terminate Preview processing when this control is destroyed. This means that any time focus moves to the Audacity main window, from anywhere, the Preview functionality is activated. I haven't noticed any problems with this in my usage over the past few months, but my usage patterns tend to be quite repetitive. This is a tricky change, and I'm not quite sure I understand my notes about it, or actually just what the state of my development source is, which is a very good way to introduce major problems into a project! I will release a test version when I figure out just what files have changed, and how to adequately label the version so we'll be able to recognize it easily if someone somehow gets hold of it and reports a problem.

Oh well, attached are the files straight from my JAWS script folder. If you'd like to test them, first back up your current script files. Then save these files in your script folder and compile them with the Script Manager. You might also back up PersonalizedSettings\Audacity.jsi. I don't remember if the settings file has changed or not, or if it would cause problems with the old version if it did.

Here are the additions to What's new.txt since the 2.0 release. Notice that the silence preview hasn't even made it into it yet.

(This file last updated 7/25/2014)

. The URL for the JAWS User's Guide can now be updated via the script (Control+Shift+j).
. Added support for the QuickSettings dialog (JAWS 13 and later).
. Made messages for moving and selecting more consistent.

New in V2.0 (9/15/2013):

Thanks.

Gary