[audacity4blind] Re: Some more new beginer questions

  • From: Brad Erhardt <brad.erhardt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 12:41:13 -0800

Hi as to your second question about signature music and having it mixed out as
you begin, Audacity does have a nice feature in the affects menu called fade
out. So if you place your signature music piece in the track and select a small
part of the end of it, it can fade out that is drop in volume. Otherwise if you
want it to play in the background while you speak, there is a feature in the
affect menu called autoduck. This will work but you need your voice recording
on another track. There are further discussions on autoduck on the audacity for
blind users email list website.

Now as to your tracks with various chapters, there are a few things you can do.

Let us say you have chapter one in your first track and chapter two in your
second track.

If from chapter one track, you press control F6 there are some boxes that will
tell you the length of that track. So let us say that your first chapter is 1
hour and 20 minutes long. So now what you want to do is have chapter two start
at that time, so in order to do this, what we will do is specify 1 hour and 20
minutes as the starting time for track two. I will paste in a previous message
from someone on this list that was very helpful in explaining this to me. Once
your second track starts at that time, there is a further option in the tracks
menu called mix and rendor which will place all tracks on one track if that is
preferred so you can export the entire book to an mp3 format. Or you can export
each track separately.

Now as to the technique for aligning your tracks,

Begin message from other member

Hi Rich
The previous answers seem to overlook one of the most crucial aspects,
namely the efficient controlling of the right alignement.
Here's my procedure to align two tracks precisely. But first, We will
assign some keys to make it all easier. Search in
preferences-->keyboard  for the listed command and assign either the
letter in brackets or your own combination.

1. Play Region Lock; Key Combination: [Q]
2. Play Region Unlock; Key Combination: [Shift+Q]
3. Align Tracks Start to Cursor/Selection Start; Key Combination: [T]
4. Move forward from toolbars to tracks; Key Combination: [F6]
  (this would by default be Ctrl F6)

The other shortcuts are standard.

Now, for the procedure itself:
1. Select a track, preferably the one that starts earlier.
2. Play [Space] until a suitable point for comparison (both,
background and guitar onset are audible)
3. Press either [Left Bracket and Space] or [Shift A] to set the
cursor and stop the playback. Those commands are essentially equal.
4. Press Q to lock the playback start at this position.
5. [J] moves to the start of the selected track.
6. (Ctrl-) F6 brings us to the Spin boxes.
7. [Shift Tab] until we reach "Selection Start"
8. Increasing one of the numbers (seconds, ms or samples) moves the
audio cursor to the right. Decreasing does the opposite.
9. [T] aligns the track start with the new cursor position.
10. Press [Space] to control the alignment.
11. We repeat steps 7 to 9 until we are happy with the result.
11. [Shift Q] unlocks the play position and two times [(Ctrl-) F6]
brings us back to the track view.

I use the lock commands because my instrument seldom starts at the
very beginning of the two tracks and I don't want to listen each time
for 20 s to judge about the alignment.
The Spin box gives you the greatest freedom with regard to the accuracy.
You may want to change the Time-format in order to get a higher
resolution with ms or samples at the end. Choose it from within the
Spin box by opening the context menu.

You can of course also use the arrow keys (in the track view) to move
the cursor. However, this is less precise since the step width is
dependant on the current zoom factor.
You can increase the precision by zooming in [Ctrl 1]. [Ctrl 3] zooms
out again and [Ctrl 2] resets the zoom.

Finally, there's a bundle of 4 simple plug-ins available to shift the
track by exactly 1 or 10 ms. I've written those in order to have more
control and to know immediately how big the shift width is.
http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=8975

After extraction, placing in the plug-in folder and re-start of
Audacity, they will appear in the effect menu:
"1 ms Shift Left" (proposed key combination: Ctrl-Alt Left)
"1 ms Shift Right" (proposed key combination: Ctrl-Alt Right)
"10 ms Shift Left" (proposed key combination: Ctrl Left)
"10 ms Shift Right" (proposed key combination: Ctrl Right)

The procedure from the very beginning will greatly be simplified:

1. Set listening point with [Space] [Shift A] [Q].
2. Jump to the track start and select all or at least a few seconds,
e.g. [J] [Shift K]
3. Shift the track with one of the plug-ins (via the shortcuts)
4. listen with [Space]
5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until you're satisfied.
6. Unlock the playback start with [Shift Q]

Sorry, that's quite a longish mail. You may want to read it a few times.
Please ask if some points need clarification or editing.

Regards
Robert

I hope this all helps, and Thanks to Robert for the included message.

On 2014-02-09, at 8:54 AM, Alexander Masic/SuperSnyggingen! wrote:

> Hi. first of all i would like to say thanks for that pod about audacitty wich
> some person here send to me, and allso very good that you diden't speak to
> fast and with an easy english wich was easy for me to understand.
>
> And now to my question
> Lets say i would record something wich contains many track.. like a book with
> many captures, capture 1 on trac 1, capture 2 on track 2 and so on. Now let's
> say i would like to put them together in one track, I have tryed to mark it
> with ctrl+a and paste it with ctrl+v with the end of track were i want to
> place it. But i diden't work for me to do that. So how do i solve that?
>
> And my other question is if i would like to make a e.g pod and have some
> signature/music on the begining and would like to like a profecional do purn
> the music down like a mix it out.. or how to describe it???? How do i do that?
>
> --

> Alexander masic
> Östanväg 6
> SE222 28 Lund